Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
With diesel prices on the rise again, I want to start buying off-road diesel for my tractors.

Anyone on here live in the Hershey/Palmyra/Annville area and know where I can buy off-road diesel (other than delivery, which usually requires 100 gal or more purchased at once).

I did find two stations at the corner of Rts 22 and 72 near Lickdale. The Turkey Hill on that corner was $269 yesterday, and the "Hatter's" for $249.

These two locations are 10 miles from my house, which, at 15 mpg in my truck costs about $5 in fuel for the round trip, so I'd like to find something closer if possible. I guess I could just buy a couple extra fuel cans to minimize trips.

Anyway, maybe we should ad a forum for locations to buy off-road diesel, as that would probably interest a lot members.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #2  
Check Zimmermans Farm Service in Bethel. I'm 75% sure they sell it. Also might be able to give you a name closer to you. If Lickdale is too far, Bethel is proboly out of the question.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA
Check Zimmermans Farm Service in Bethel. I'm 75% sure they sell it. Also might be able to give you a name closer to you. If Lickdale is too far, Bethel is proboly out of the question.

Bethel is definitely much further. Lickdale is doable, but to buy 10 gallons at about $.90/gallon savings (over road-diesel), I'd use 1/2 that driving there and back. I can detour about 1 mile out of my way on the way home from work to get to a couple of truck stops. I should probably call them, and see if any of them sell off-road diesel for refrigerator trucks.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #4  
I was going to recommend Hutters and Turkey Hill at the Jonestown Road/Rt 72 intersection, but see that you already found them. Funck's on Rt 934 at Ft Indiantown Gap might sell it.

Turkey Hill is building a new store along Rt 22 just west of Rt 39. I would imagine that location will be selling off-road diesel. Don't know when it will open it shouldn't be too far away.

One or more of the truck stops or gas stations at Rt 39/I-81 should have it, I'd think.

Can't think of any other places in this area offhand.

John

Turkey Hill is building a new store along Rt 22 just west of Rt 39. I would imagine that location will be selling off-road diesel. Don't know when it will open it shouldn't be too far away.

Jeh412 -- thanks. I drive past that new Turkey Hill every day, I'll have to check it out. I buy diesel for my F-350 at the Pilot off I-81 at 39, but haven't ventured around to the truck side to see if they have off-road diesel back there. You need an account with them to use the big-truck pumps (they have diesel out front with the car pumps for those of us with "little trucks" like my F-350. I imagine they might require an account for the off-road diesel pumps too. I'll investigate and post my findings.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with the Pilot truck stop -- they do not sell off-road diesel. I spoke to the manager, and he said the truckers all use the same pump for both, and that they just keep track of how much the put in the refer tank for tax purposes. I don't have time now, but will call the other truck stops later and post my results.

Last edited:
   / Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #6  
Why don't you want it delivered? Tanks are very cheap now, I paid $2.64 a week ago for 200 gallons of bidiesel delivered. I used to haul from a local station but with a 145 hp tractor and a 45 hp tractor it got to be work.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #7  
One or more of the truck stops or gas stations at Rt 39/I-81 should have it, I'd think.
John
None of the truck stops around here have off road because it's illegal to use it in the trucks.
None of the gas stations sell it either because it's not legal to use it in cars.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #8  
You might want to check with your local home heating oil dist. Sometimes they will drop off lessor amounts of fuel if you can wait for them to be in your area for normal deliveries. Even if you wait, a 10 gallon stop is probably not going to happen, but around here they will do 25 gallons on a regular customer.

Why don't you want it delivered? Tanks are very cheap now, I paid $2.64 a week ago for 200 gallons of bidiesel delivered. I used to haul from a local station but with a 145 hp tractor and a 45 hp tractor it got to be work.

I only use about 30-40 gallons per year. I have a 24 HP and 16 HP tractor.

I've also been thinking about putting a transfer pump in the house's fuel oil tank (550 gal). I have a 20 gallon "portable" tank with pump, but if I try to haul it in the truck with fuel in it, it makes a **** of a mess, because the full has a vent on it that can't be capped (I need to post a picture of it). I should redo the full so that i can cap it, then I'll just take it to be filled along with my 2 5 gallon tanks.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #10  
None of the truck stops around here have off road because it's illegal to use it in the trucks.
None of the gas stations sell it either because it's not legal to use it in cars.

Larry I can take you to about 5 places that have it at the pump around my cabin but it is a little far for jas67 to go

3 of them are mini markets and 2 fuel oil places

I use a 35 gallon drum for transport and hand pump to a stationary 55 gallon with its own pump to fill with

tom