Super C Starter

/ Super C Starter #1  

wendallb

Tractor
1950 Farmall Super C
Anyone had any experience with rebuilding a super c starter? I think mine is dead as I went straight to the inside start lug with a hot wire and it does nothing.

Any help would appreciated..

/ Super C Starter #2  
Anyone had any experience with rebuilding a super c starter? I think mine is dead as I went straight to the inside start lug with a hot wire and it does nothing.

Any help would appreciated..

wendallb, I just got mine back from our local diesel electric repair shop because it would not go also. It seemed to be dead but according to our rebuilder it was just froze up from sitting. I just purchased my super c from a couple that were retiring and they hadn't used it for a while. The rebuilder cleaned, greased the brgs and dressed the teeth at no charge. Maybe you might remove it and try spinning it by hand or pull the cover off and check the brushes. He indicated to me that these were pretty tough starters and usually all that they need are brushes if not working. How long has it been since you had it running? Rick

/ Super C Starter
Thanks Rick, I took it off and it does turn so I do believe it is a electrical problem. I will take it apart and see what I can see. The starter does not seem to have a starter solinoid unless it is built inside. Anyway thanks for the info and I will see if I can figure out what is wrong with this starter..

All the Best

/ Super C Starter #4  
You might check the brushes and see how far down they are worn. Hope it can be that simple. Rick:thumbsup: PS: mine does not have anything except a bar post on outside of it also.

/ Super C Starter
I took the little cover off and the brushes are worn but not all the way but will look closer after I get it cleaned up. Mine also only has the bar post on the outside..I hope it is a simple fix also but I guess we will see. Won't have time to work on it until next week sometime..Thanks for the tips..

/ Super C Starter #6  
I took the little cover off and the brushes are worn but not all the way but will look closer after I get it cleaned up. Mine also only has the bar post on the outside..I hope it is a simple fix also but I guess we will see. Won't have time to work on it until next week sometime..Thanks for the tips..

Your welcome, Rick

/ Super C Starter #7  
We had a super c and it was a super tractor,used it to pull hay wagons.You might try just cleaning the brushes up to see if that helps.If not they should be cheap to repair or replace:)Dave

/ Super C Starter
Thanks for the tips from everyone and I will try to have a closer look at it next week and see if I can get this working again. I have a lot of land and can't mow it all with my little rider so have to get the tractor running again..

/ Super C Starter #9  
Get a hand crank for it...Super C's, if tuned at all will fire right up on the first crank..BobG in VA

/ Super C Starter
Don't know that is has a place for a hand crank but I may look. I guess I could pull start it..Thanks for the idea..