Milky Oil

/ Milky Oil #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I change the oil in my 231s Massey after the last mowing in the fall, after the second mowing in the spring and some time around August. Last Spring
when I drained the oil it came out very emusified. Fearing the worst, I took it up to the dealer to have it checked out. They checked the 3 cylinder Perkins out from one end to the other, including pressure tests on the radiator and checking the coolant for oil, I didn't want them to pull the head.
I brought it home and mowed for 1 hour then changed the oil, it was perfect.
I ran it for 10 hours and changed it again, still no problem.
The machine is stored indoors and I only use premium oil. With only 550 hrs. on it I'm not expecting any major problems.
I can't understand how water could get into the oil system.

/ Milky Oil #2  
The most likely way is condensation inside the motor. Depending on how you use it, if it was not getting fully warmed up most of the time, the water won't evaporate off.

/ Milky Oil
How did the damp air get into the engine?

/ Milky Oil #4  
The engine is mainly air filled except a few gallons of engine oil. What is your humidity level and max temp changes from day to night?

This is the very reason we cram our fuel tanks full of fuel when we are not going to using it often in the fall, winter, spring months in our area. Sweating is not the same problem in AZ. :D

With you see concrete and other things like your "filled" tractor tires then at the same time moisture is changing into liquid form inside your engine giving you the water.

This is why an engine and exhaust system can last longer if one runs the engine for at least 30 minutes after each start up. Talk to the little old ladies that live in town vs 20 mile out into the country and see who has the most vehicle problems due to moisture build up.

This moisture could leave the engine after a few hours of hard work if it is able to breath correctly.

/ Milky Oil #5  
The most likely way is condensation inside the motor. Depending on how you use it, if it was not getting fully warmed up most of the time, the water won't evaporate off.

I agree, Over the years, we have seen a lot of that. Transmission oil same way. No big deal. if you drain it and change all filters. Ken Sweet

/ Milky Oil #6  
How did the damp air get into the engine?

As the weather changes so does the atmospheric pressure, hi-lows. The engine will breath and the damp air enters through the crankcase breather tube. No real way to stop it.

/ Milky Oil #7  
It happens every day but if used regularly it gets driven off before the milk stage shows up.

Dump truck hoists are the worse because it is hard to work them hard enough to create the needed heat.

This is also the cause of rusty dip sticks one sees from time to time.