Rotary Cutter Check all your bolts...!!!!

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
After all these years I have learned the hard way but got off easy..Last week I bush hogged 14 acres and just now was servicing the tractor and stopped as was looking over the bush hog...I was surprised to see I am now missing two key bolts and nuts...one going to a side arm support and one going to the tail wheel assembly...the adjusting bolt and nut...I drove 5 miles back on the highway like that...next time I will check all bolts before I leave to go to the farm and before I leave the farm on the return 5 mile trip on the county road..Would not be too good to be going 13 MPH down the county road and have the bush hog fall apart behind me..I'm just passing my error on.....:)

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #2  
If you review your tractor and implement manuals, I think you'll see the requirements to check fastener torques at specific intervals.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #3  
I would like to tell you I check all the nuts for tightness but I just do it after something comes loose.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #4  
I would like to tell you I check all the nuts for tightness but I just do it after something comes loose.

You mean after your tractor rolls over due to a wheel coming off?

I don't do this (since I check bolts with a torque wrench), at least stripe the bolts. Striping is making a mark across the bolt to the adjacent surface (using a paint marker for maximum durability). That way, a visual check is quite adequate. If the line across the fastener and adjacent surface do not match, your fastener has loosened.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #5  
You mean after your tractor rolls over due to a wheel coming off?

I don't do this (since I check bolts with a torque wrench), at least stripe the bolts. Striping is making a mark across the bolt to the adjacent surface (using a paint marker for maximum durability). That way, a visual check is quite adequate. If the line across the fastener and adjacent surface do not match, your fastener has loosened.

Roy,

Good idea on the stripeing. I'm gonna do the same on appropriate bolts. Thanks for the tip.

Reily

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #6  
I carry asst. of bolts w/washers and nuts plus pins just in case,also vice grips just in case.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #7  
If you review your tractor and implement manuals, I think you'll see the requirements to check fastener torques at specific intervals.

True, but I figure that section is written by the lawyers. "Check before every use. Check every ten hours...."

Ken

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #8  
True, but I figure that section is written by the lawyers. "Check before every use. Check every ten hours...."

Ken
Yes! Specd fasteners assembled to full design torque spec will not loosen unless there has been subsequent damage to the assembly.
larry

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #9  
Yes! Specd fasteners assembled to full design torque spec will not loosen unless there has been subsequent damage to the assembly.
larry

These fasteners are subject to a lot of vibration which can loosen even torqued bolts and nuts. Bolts torqued into blind holes would be most susceptable, I think. Bolts with lock nuts would be least susceptable to loosening.
As an example, the Woods 5000 Chipper manual states not only to check the fasteners, but to not operate the chipper on a hard (paved or compressed gravel) surface due to increased vibration.

I'd like to take credit for that striping suggestion, but that process has been around for a long long time.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #10  
These fasteners are subject to a lot of vibration which can loosen even torqued bolts and nuts. Bolts torqued into blind holes would be most susceptable, I think. Bolts with lock nuts would be least susceptable to loosening.
Properly torqued joints dont move. Thats why they dont loosen under vibration. If you have things loosening short of damage to the clamped part then the design is faulty.
larry