New to Me Ford 2110

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #1  

NewCountryBoy

Hi All,

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help I have received on this site. I have never owned a tractor before and I was able to get most of the information I need on this site and plan to use it in the future. I finally broke down and purchased a Ford 2110 last night with just over 1K hours. It came with a box blade, bushhog, and FEL. So far I love it. I attached my first photo of it.

Like I said, I don't know much about tractors so any advise would be welcome. It does need new tires, a little dry rot. The gas gauge doesn't work. Any easy fixes for that? What should I look for?

Brett

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 526
   / New to Me Ford 2110 #2  
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I am sure you have or are in the process of getting a manual, changing fluids, filters and such. I would additionally check the front wheel bearings.

As to the fuel gauge, we just use a stick on our older tractors.:)

/ New to Me Ford 2110
Yeah I am working through the fluids and trying to find a manual. I will check the bearins, thanks for the heads up.

Brett

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #4  
yep.. a paint stir stick makes a great gas gauge.. just keep it in the tool box.

ditto on the fluids and filters, and the wheel bearings. I'd clean and grease all fittings.. check belts and hoses.. they are cheap but you don't want them going out when you need the tractor. check hyd lines for leaks or cracking/ fraying.

also.. be safe around pressurized fuel and oil.. like diesel injector lines and hyd lines. don't use your hand to feel for leaks.. use cardboard. pressurized oil can be injected under the skin even a few inches from the high pressure pinhole leak. oil under the skin can cause severe infection and amputation! not to scare you.. just so you will be mindfull of it.

use clean fuel containers, and perhaps a fuel conditioner if needed.

utf oils meeting M2C134D are what that tractor wants in it's various non engine sumps... for the engine.. a good 15w40 C rated oil.

DO get an owners and service manual.

tires? If they hold air.. run em...

soundguy

soundguy

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #5  
As stated before, check your fluids and filters as well as bearings and seals. For your fuel guage, it could be that the float is stuck in the tank of a wire has broken. Does the guage move at all when you start your tractor? I have the same problem but with my RPM meter on my Yanmar. It does not move at all, it just sits there until I buy a new one to replace it or fix the wire.

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #6  
Congratulation on your new tractor.
Take it easy the first few hours, get use to the tractor, it features and functions. You don't want to have an accident so think safety. As suggested go over your tractor to see what needs attention. It is a bummer to have a break down just when you want to use it. :)

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #7  
forgot to mention.. make sure the 2 most important gauges DO work.. oil pressure ( probably an idiot lamp ) and temperature.

soundguy

/ New to Me Ford 2110
Thank you all. Do you have recommendations on a shop manual? I know that with cars, they have different brands. I searched online and found a 120 page IT manual for 25$ and then I also found about 100$ that I could dl only what I need. That is a good idea for the gas.

Unfortunately the hydrolics do leak a little, I need to so some research on where the leak is coming from. I have slowly broken it in and taken it easy. It seems REALLY easy to get hurt with these. I finally hooked up the bush hog and learned how to use that. so far everything is goign well.

Brett

/ New to Me Ford 2110
In regards to holding air and running them? Am I at risk with dry rot tires exploding or will they slowly just leak air? Typically of course, not everytime.

Thanks again,

Brett

/ New to Me Ford 2110 #10  
When you say leaky hyds.. you really have to be more specific.

external leaks? like leaky fittings or gaskets?

or your 3pt leaks down? ( likely cause is the piston oring )

manuals? the I&T is ok for the price.. but I'd get the oem one as well... doesn't hurt to own 150$ of paper since you own a few thousand bucks of iron.

exploding tires? I guess if you load them with oxy-propane.. or run that at 50 psi.. yeah.. they might explode. most common failure mode for a tractor tire is 'flat' and won't hold air. I have (1) single time had a tire come off a rim.. it was an ancient 4x19 2 rib tire on an old rusty rim.. the beads went bad, and casing was shot, and gave out one day.. the tire delaminated and when the tube popped it blew the old casing a few feet away from the tractor... not explosively... just tossed it aside.

If you have old tires i wouldn't put my face up against the bead or anything while airing them.. and I wouldn't over fill them... just use reasonable precautions like you would with ANY tire (car, tractor.. lawnmower.. etc.. ) when filling them or working on them..

soundguy