John Deere X485/445

/ John Deere X485/445 #1  

grunde

Hello,

I am new here and just have purchased about 12 acres in NW Mo. I will have about 2 acres to mow and a lot of it is hill ground.

I am looking at getting either the X485 or 445 model john deere tractor and am wondering if some of you have an idea on how it handles mowing on hills.

I've attached a link to a picture of the front of the house and the type of hills I would be mowing. The local dealership has offered to let me do a demo ride on the property but would like some advice from you all.

Thanks!!
--Gary

Picasa Web Albums - alidog061974 - House

/ John Deere X485/445 #2  
Both of these tractors would be older models, so guessing you are looking at used.

Both are solid tractors, and I've had the 445 (sold to my son) and now have the X485. Both are AWS and handle hills very, very well.

But I think the straight steer will do well too, just cannot turn uphill as easy when on the slope.

/ John Deere X485/445 #3  
I bought a new JD X485 with 62" deck and used it 5 years before trading it for a 3720. It worked well on my steep lawn --- never had a single issue. Main reason I traded was I developed severe allergies and the 3720 cab tractor was the answer. My biggest criticism of the X485 is having to clean the radiator/screen frequently.
Best thing is to take the dealer up on his offer and test drive the tractor/mower on your property. Good luck.

/ John Deere X485/445 #4  
Might wanna consider going for a diesel. The gas ones like to drink.

/ John Deere X485/445 #5  
I just picked up a 455 diesel, AWS. To my surprise (although didn't take long to figure it out), there is less traction on slopes and turning up slopes because of the extra weight of the diesel engine. I had to add fluid to the tires and hang some weights on the rear to get back the traction I have with the 425 and the X485. Both AWS.

I do like the fuel consumption, in favor of the diesel. Also like the 3cyl diesel compared to the bit louder 2cyl gas.

/ John Deere X485/445 #6  
I have a very steep hill off the back of my yard. I have the 445 AWS that does very very well on it. The first three years living in this house I had turf tires and my hill is so steep I would get a bit of slip going down the hill when the drive wheels are “unweighted”. This winter I went to AG tires and it is sure footed and rock solid going both up and down

It does drink some gas as other have said though. Also check out my other post on the problem I had on my 445 (Kawasaki FD620) motor. Might be something to consider and make the jump to the diesel so you avoid potential problems.