first service

/ first service #1  

jbs

Tractor
kubota L3000DT
Hi guys,

Its getting close to my first service. Any tips on how to drain 8+ gals of UDT without turning my yard into another Love Canel. It would be easy if I had one flat container that would hold the whole 8 gals but since I dont I guess you have to keep switching containers. This sounds kinda messy.Anybody tried something like a drain hose etc????

thanks

/ first service #2  
I drain mine into 2 five gallon buckets and then empty the buckets back into the new fluid containers.

Eugene

/ first service #3  
If you can lay your hands on a used plastic 55gal drum, they make excellent drain pans. Just cut it at a height that will fit under your tractor. 1/3 rd of a 55gal barrel will hold about 10 gal. without splashing out over the edges when you pull it out from under the tractor. About 15 gal if you don't mind it being close to the top.

/ first service
Thanks, thats a good idea with the plastic drum. I was going to just use 5 gal buckets but dont have the clearance so thought I would check if there was something simple I hadnt thought of

/ first service #5  
If you don't have the height clearance just drive the front or back wheels up onto some appropriate blocking, car ramps etc.

/ first service #6  
I took a five gallon bucket and cut off the top 2 inches and it fits fine under my L2500D. I just completed the total fluid change required at 400 hours on my tractor and now have about 14 gallons of used oil to get rid of. Some of the oil was from an earlier change in case you were wondering. By the time the first drain for the hydraulic oil is done there is only about four and a half gallons in the bucket so you can easily replace the drain plug to change buckets. I also like the idea of the cut off 55 gallon plastic bucket. We happen to have an industry in a nearby town that uses these barrels in the manufacture of their product and give the used ones away for free. So far I've picked up ten of them for me and the neighbor. One I use for a water weight on my disk, one for storing seed, and one for storing tools in my pump house. I cut the tops out of them and replace it with a plywood lid with a wire handle on it. Cheap storage! Multitude of uses.
PK Burke

/ first service #7  
I use one of those rectangular plastic storage bins. Just put it under the drain holes, open the plugs and let her rip. They are big enough to allow several plugs to be removed at once and catch all the fluid. I put the lid on before I pull it out, keeps me from spilling. Some have breather holes in the handle area, so watch out for that. I pour the fluid back into the containers with a funnel and use the corner of the storage container as a pour point.

They clean up nicely with the purple power cleaner.

/ first service #8  
Just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I went to Walmart and bought 2 rectangular plastic storage bins for about $3/container. I could have gotten away with one, two was a better idea for not spilling the oil. They came with a lid, but it wasn't a sealed fit. So I just wrapped a trash bag around each of them to transport to the recycling center (aka Kubota dealer).