Trailer Decision Help

/ Trailer Decision Help #1  

Willie71

Tractor
JD 4120, JD 445, JD2440, JD2630
Ok here is the dilemma -

I need an 18 to 20' bumper pull trailer to haul my JD 4120 with FEL and hopefully a 48 backhoe soon- I have looked at the ones available in our area and seem to like Kraftsman, Kaufman & Proline. 10k is more than enough to haul the tractor ... but to get the base trailer (5" frame, wood deck, 15" tires, 2k tongue jack stand, & flip ramps no spring assist) & adjustable hitch I am looking at $3,000 - I have found a used 1 month old 14K 6" frame and tongue with upgraded Jack stand (12k drop foot), lockable tool box, 16" tires, spring assist ramps adjustable hitch - owners says less than 100 miles on the trailer just too small for his needs for basically the same price - still looks brand new. Looks like a no brainer but in NC if the GVW of the trailer is greater than 10K & the combined truck and trailer GVW exceeds 26K you must have a class A CDL which don't have nor do I want to get - I operate with Farm Tags on my trucks and trailers so this does not apply - but I could not use my neighbors single axle dump to pull the trailer since it has standard commercial tags.

I am a fan of more for less but the trailer will weigh about 500lbs (3,300lbs) more than the 10K unit (2,800lbs) - the majority of the towing will be with a Chevrolet C-1500 -trailer weight and tractor are right at the stated tow capacity so I guess the 500lbs may not make that much difference.

What are your thoughts - don't want to buy too much of a bulky trailer and also don't want to have a hard time selling if does not suit my purpose - most of the trailers sold are rated for 10k in order to avoid the CDL issue.

As always thanks for your help and input.

Willie

/ Trailer Decision Help #2  
The trailer may be rated at 10k, but you can get it registered to carry less weight so the combined truck,trailer, cargo is less then 26k.

First, how much does jd weigh? with implements? truck weight ? add trailer weight and then what do you get? We need more info, before saying things like register trialer at lesser capacity weight if you want to aviod the cdl issues.

/ Trailer Decision Help
Radioman - It is my understanding that the trailer must be registered according to the certificate of origin - if it is a 14K rated trailer it must be registered for 14K I don't think I have a choice. DMV states that if the capacity of the truck and trailer exceed 26k you must have class A CDL unless both are farm tagged. SO according to this max of 26K less 14K for trailer = truck gvrw of 12K - I really don't what the gvrw of a Chevrolet 3500 with a 14' dump bed is - I assume it is probably close - the International single axle trucks we use on the farm gvrw is much greater but these are a different class of truck.

The capacity of the 10K will carry the load no issues but the 14K is a lot better trailer for actually $200 less - I just don't want to get more trailer than I need and not be able to sell it easy due to it's size should it not work for my purpose.

Tractor 3,700 lbs (JD 4120)
loader est 1,200lbs (400x)
backhoe est 1,500lbs (48)
Trailer 2,800 to 3,300lbs 5 ton vs 7 ton

so based on the above with the 5 ton trailer I would have 9,200 lbs on 10,000lb running gear - so I think this would be fine assuming I am not off in my estimates specs are not in the loader manual and I don't have any info on the backhoe since I have not purchased it yet.

Again thanks for your thoughts.

Willie

/ Trailer Decision Help #4  
I would go for the larger trailer since the money is about the same. It will give you more room to grow.

The GVWR of a dually is around 13K give or take.

Chris

/ Trailer Decision Help #5  
ok - given the numbers you gave us, you are still under 26k total @23k combined. having a 1.5 ton of room toplay with before you get into 26l cdl requirement, you should be fine. Not sure of what the concern is, unless you have plans to carry other stuff too.

/ Trailer Decision Help #6  
Willie,
I think you should go with the smaller one, oh, by way - Where is the used one at? Just kidding ! Given the same choice, I'd choose the higher gvw & cheaper one.

/ Trailer Decision Help #7  
If you have something to pull it with, aren't trailers like barns, bigger is always better. :D :D

Wedge

/ Trailer Decision Help #8  
put farm tags on the trailer and truck and you should not need a CDL, at least that is the law here in SC. Here you can drive an 18 wheeler tractor and lowboy without a cdl as long as it has farm tags on it. Just a thought.

-NAte

/ Trailer Decision Help #9  
You DO NOT "need" a CDL just because the GVW/GCVW is 26,001# or more. If you are not "commercial", you do not need a Commercial Driver's License.

Always check the laws of your state, and any you would be driving in/thru to be sure their laws are not more strict than the Feds.

/ Trailer Decision Help #10  
in fl you can register for a lower gvw ... guess some states don't let you do that?

soundguy