Small Engine Help

/ Small Engine Help #1  

mburke121

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 John Deere 4720
Someone was kind enough to give me a trail mower with an 8hp B&S engine on it. The unit is in excellent condition overall, with new blades. I was excited, and anxious to mow some trails that my tractor and brush cutter won't make it through.

I put new gas in it, the oil looked good, and the plug looked good. I started it up, and it started on the first pull. The engine seemed to sputter a little, and would not rev much above idle. I let it warm up a while, and tried to work the throttle, but still just a little above idle. When I engaged the blades, the motor shut down, and would not restart, I'm thinking that the carburetor is gummed up.

Anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem?

/ Small Engine Help #2  
Here are some possibilities, the throttle plate on the carb is stuck shut, the governor spring is out of adjustment or broken, the intake lobe of the camshaft is worn close to round, or the main carb jet is clogged.

/ Small Engine Help
Thanks for the advice - I was pretty sure the problem was carb/fuel related, just didn't know where to start. I'll see if any of the quick-fix items are the source of the problem before I take the carb off for a rebuild.