new tractor suggestions

/ new tractor suggestions #1  

gentleladyfarmer

I am the business manager (loosely defined) of an estate in So. Berkshire County Mass. We are looking for a replacement for our 1965 IH Cub which my brother has kept running. We use it for brush mowing with a cutter bar, road grading (1/4 mi. gravel/dirt road) and towing a trailers. The new tractor will have the additional duties of snow plowing (so a heated cab is needed), and considering also attachments for a front loader, backhoe and post-hole digger. Mowing we would not consider as much as the lawns are small. It would never be driven on the street.
Something very versitile but under $25,000 with the heated cab and snowplow, otherwise we might as well buy a truck.
It's been difficult finding a used tractor in this area, let alone one meeting our needs, any leads on finding a used one would be appreciated.
A JD 4115 has been suggested but I don't see on their web site that a heated cab is available for it. If that's incorrect please show me where I missed this.
If you suggest a foreign make, how long does it usually take to get parts for it?
I have not seen a ball hitch attachment mentioned at the JD web site, do they still make them for tractors?
For snowplowing is 4WD essential? Anything else?
Thank you for your suggestions!

/ new tractor suggestions #2  
I'm not sure that you can get a new cab tractor with all of those features for under $25,000. To get started, I would go with a Kioti DK50C. With a the cab with heat/air, a box blade for road maintenance and 3 pt. hitch rotary cutter, you should still stay under $25,000. Once you start adding a front end loader ($3,000 to $4,500) and a backhoe ($5,000 to $8,000), you will be well over your budget. I'm not sure what the best implement to plow snow with is. I'm sure you could do some with a blade or FEL, but it might get real time consuming in deep snow. To pull a trailer, simply put a towing ball on the drawbar and hook up (if it is a ball hitch). If not, use the hole in the drawbar to hold the pin. If it is a pintle hitch trailer, I'm almost sure that I have seen pintle hooks for a tractor drawbar, but I can't remember where.

As far as parts for imported tractors go, I imagine that with a little research you will discover that almost all of the smaller tractors available new in America are either manufactured overseas or have a large amount of parts that are supplied from overseas. I can't imagine that you will have anymore difficulty obtaining parts for a Kioti, Mahindra, or Kubota than you will a John Deere or New Holland.

Good luck.

Take it easy

Tim Gray

/ new tractor suggestions #3  
gentlelady,

For your cab check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.curtiscabs.com/tractor_cab_systems.html> Curtis Cabs </A>

For trailering you have a number of options

1. Bolt a trailer ball to the tractor's drawbar (cheapest & safest, but least convenient)

2. Get a drawbar that fits the three point hitch ($30) & bolt a ball to that (allows you to use tractor hydraulics to lift the trailer)

3. Get a fancy receiver hitch attachment for the three point that accepts 2" inserts ($200)

Today's compact tractors are relatively light weight for a given Horsepower. Because of this, traction is usually the limiting factor. 4wd helps in many situations.

I would shop John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland. Almost all compact tractors are made overseas (the big three mentioned are made in Japan).

The "foriegn makes" are made in other Asian countries. You will get more bang for your buck with the korean & chinese tractors, but Hydrostatic transmissions aren't available yet. From what I hear, parts are readily available.

You may want to check out the Deere 770 and the New Holland TC30. Both are "economy tractors" and are a little larger than the 4115, but for not much more money. The Deere is a manual transmision, the New Holland has a Hydro as an option.

/ new tractor suggestions #4  
From the questions you ask, I suggest you put some trust in a dealer near you, (regardless of brand at this point, although I prefer Deere), and find out what they suggest. If you get their support in helping you put a 'plan' together, I would be surprised if it wouldn't be your best and cheapest alternative in the long run. Your questions admit to too many things that you know too little about to be buying something used off the street, that you will have to add attachments (and cab) to in order to accomplish what you think you want.
Good luck. Also, get the full support from whoever is going to be operating the equipment, as you want them to be happy with it, so they will take better care of it.

/ new tractor suggestions #5  
Not being a John Deere owner, don't quote me on this. But it seems that I have read here on TBN that the JD 4115 is compatiblle with a backhoe. I;m sure one of the other members will correct me if I'm wrong.

Personnally I am a New Holland and Kubota owner. Therefore my recomendations tend to sway in those directions.

#1 pick for would be a New holland TC33D or TC29D. You should be able to find a TC33D equipped with front end loader, 4x4 and hydrstatic transmission for @ $17500. The backhoe will run you @ $6000. And my guess at a cab for that size of tractor is @ $2000. That brings a total of $25500, or $500 over budget. With luck you might be able to find a TC29D equipped the same for possibly $1000 less. And then there is the TC30, New Holland's new economy compact utility tractor. It is my understanding that you can buy one equipped with a loader as mentioned before for @$15500. All three are excellent tractors for your uses. If you want to go with a standard gear tranny, you should be able to buy that version of the above tractors for another $1000 cheaper, although I would get one with a live PTO . Two things that I would like to stress for first time buyers is to purchase the optional extending (deluxe) 3pt hitch arms (standard on the D models) and a heavy duty loader bucket. these two items make a world of difference for operating and both tractor/operator longevity. Another suggestion is don't limit yourself just to the manufacturers equipment. I managed to save on both the loader and the backhoe by buying good quality aftermarket items. My new N.H. TC29 was equipped with a Woods (Woods Equipment Company) model 1012 front end loader. I went with this FEL over the New Holland 7308 Fel, as it is a somewhat heavier duty and it can lift an additional 350 lbs. plus it was @ $600 cheaper than the 7308. I also went with the Woods 7500 backhoe over the New Holland 757 hoe, as it to is built just a little bit stronger, and it was @ $900 cheaper than the New Holland 757 hoe. Bear in mind that these prices on the woods equip. ($2500 FEL/$5500 hoe) were aqquired as part of the package price with the tractor purchase.

#2 I would be to go with Kubota's L3010 Which are just slightly bigger than the above mentioned New Holland's. As well as @$1000 more. Or the Kubota B2910 which is slightly smaller than the above mentioned New Holland's, and I'm not sure how thier current prices compare.

Two more things to consider. One that many compact utility tractors equipped with a backhoe are not compatible with a cab unless you remove the cab or at least the back panel. And two although you can get a backhoe for a smaller CUT than mentioned above. Its not very advisable. For one thing they are very limited as to reach and productivity. And second a tractor that is much lighter than those mentioned above get shaken around considerably by the hoe. Which is very hard on both the smaller frame and castings as well as the hoe and operator. And may reduce the lifespan of both.

Well hope this gives you a better perspective of both size and productivity that you can acheive from a tractor in that price range.

/ new tractor suggestions #6  
Gentlelady,

The previously provided advice from other members seems rock solid to me. If you want hydrostatic trans. as I did, JD, Kub and NH are your 3 logical choices.

My subjective position on the matter:

I bought a Kubota L3010HST 6 weeks ago and am delighted with my choice.

Good luck,
Grande

/ new tractor suggestions #7  
you don't mention the size of the estate u are taking care of, but i wouls assume that if u are considering fel, bh, and posthole digger that it is large enough to require a good sized tractor. u might be able to get all that u want for that $25000 but not really sure, the BH and heated cab will add to the cost considerably.u also mentioned that if it cost much more than that u might as well get a truck. the truck won't have a fel, the truck won't take a backhoe. pleas let us know what u end up with, and welcome to the forum./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ new tractor suggestions #8  
To save a little money, instead of buying a tractor with an integrated hard cab, you might get a tractor with just rops, and get a soft side cab like they sell at northern equipment...

Soundguy

/ new tractor suggestions #10  
Hello, and nice to know there is another lady on board, (there may be more, I'm new here myself). I sell Kubotas, so you know I'm biased from the start, but I'll try to keep it contained! The smallest tractor with a factory cab(heat and air), is a Kubota L3430HSTC--brand new model. Awsome cabs, factory is always nicer than aftermarket, but you don't always need one. As some of the others have pointed out, there are problems putting a hoe on with a cab--how much are you planning on using the hoe? More often than not you would be further ahead to rent one when you need one if its only for the occasional job. There are some very nice aftermarket cabs on the market. We handle Curtis, they and Sims also make cabs for all the other major brands. These cabs have heat as an option, but no AC. Laurin does make a very nice cab and may even have optioal AC, but you're going to pay alot for it. I would advise checking out your local dealers and see who you get the best vibes from. They should let you test drive some different models and see which feels the best. Not knowing how much you're maintaining makes it hard to make any suggestions on exact models, but if you're looking at a JD4115, you might look at a Kubota B7500 or 2410 also. My personal favorite of the Kubotas is the B2910. It is loaded with features to make it operator freindly and easier to run. You picked a good place to turn for help, just post any ?'s and you're sure to get alot of good advice. Good Luck, Christa