Shipping Tractor

/ Shipping Tractor #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I am shipping my JD 110 TLB from Oregon to CA using someone I found through uShip.

Does anyone know what kind of paperwork and insurance I should expect the trucker to show me before I wave goodbye and watch my expensive tractor roll off into the sunset?

Other than riding in the seat with a shotgun, how do I prevent the driver from just dropping it off at the RB auction lot about half way along the trip, and pocketing the proceeds?

Another question is do I need to make any special preparation before I drive it up onto the truck? I don't think so, but I have never done this before. Clearly I will check tire pressures, coolant and oil, but I can't think of much else.

/ Shipping Tractor #2  
I am shipping my JD 110 TLB from Oregon to CA using someone I found through uShip.

Does anyone know what kind of paperwork and insurance I should expect the trucker to show me before I wave goodbye and watch my expensive tractor roll off into the sunset?

Other than riding in the seat with a shotgun, how do I prevent the driver from just dropping it off at the RB auction lot about half way along the trip, and pocketing the proceeds?

Another question is do I need to make any special preparation before I drive it up onto the truck? I don't think so, but I have never done this before. Clearly I will check tire pressures, coolant and oil, but I can't think of much else.

Hey CurlyDave, I do not know about uShip, but a few years ago I had our 37ft 5th wheel shipped from UT to MT using "Giddy UP Go Transport" (I think they operate out of Texas?). All the contract paperwork was supplied to me by email and they were bonded and insured. They did a real good job, the driver called me a couple of times during the transport to just keep me informed that everything was ok. Also they were cheaper then uShip as far as getting quotes. KC

/ Shipping Tractor #3  
A couple of years ago when I got my new tractor it was shipped from Oregon to Canada. I had the serial number for both the tractor and backhoe and insured it though a rider on my house insurance before it left the dealer. This was in case if fell off the truck or it disappeared. Do you or can you insure it till it reaches its destination. Did you sell it or are you shipping it to yourself in California? Truckers should have insurance for their loads, best to ask ahead of time. Good luck with your shipping.

/ Shipping Tractor
Did you sell it or are you shipping it to yourself in California?

I am shipping it to myself in CA.

I am rebuilding my house that burned down, and the time to tear up the driveway, run a new water line, and then resurface the entire driveway is nearly here.

I can ship the backhoe for less than $600, which is about 2.5 days rental on a mini-ex.

Now I know the mini-ex would be faster, once I learned how to use it, but the convenience of having the backhoe available every day is going to more than compensate.

/ Shipping Tractor #5  
make sure he has shipping papers and you get a sign copey and make sure he has cargo insur. thats from and old truck driver me Jeep

/ Shipping Tractor #6  
Would probably be a good idea to take pic's of it on the flatbed, after you get it loaded and dogged down with binders.

/ Shipping Tractor #7  
Looks like the total cost round trip will be close to $1200. I might add that running the mini excavator would be easy for you as most joystick controls are the same. Almost a zero learning curve for you, might be fun to try one out. You are right about having the 110 available for a longer length of time though. Might also wan't to consider the $1200 off the price of having this work contracted by others too. I am sure though that you have considered all of this too.

I would most likely trailer it but maybe I'm too utilitarian?

/ Shipping Tractor #8  
I might add that running the mini excavator would be easy for you as most joystick controls are the same. Almost a zero learning curve for you, might be fun to try one out.
Heheheh ...... yeah ...... :D

I rented a Kubota KX-91 mini-ex four years ago when we were doing a bunch of work here (polebarn, driveway, etc.)

Having used the backhoe on the B2910 previously, mastering the controls of the mini-ex took all of ..... mebbe ..... oh, 5 minutes .... ?

After using it for about an hour, the first big thing I learned was how much more productive the mini-ex was than the TLB (Thanks Bob Skurka) .... just no comparison .... for trenching work, on the mini-ex you can fly ..... on the TLB it's slow slogging in comparison ......

Originally, I had planned to rent the mini-ex for a weekend .... that turned into a week ..... and eventually I returned it ...... after a month .....

To accomplish the same amount of work with the B2910 would have easily taken 2x - 3x as long ...... if not even longer ....

You are right about having the 110 available for a longer length of time though.
Yeah, that would take off the pressure as far as time goes .... and you could work at a more leisurely pace, since you aren't worrying about the meter ticking .....

/ Shipping Tractor #9  
Curly, have not used uship myself but one of my sons has, twice. Your "trucker" may be no more than a private party with a trailer. First time was from Ohio to Wa. Second time Co. to Wa. First time went well. Second time was mixed bag. Contracted with same party as firt trip and they went belly up just before picking up the second load. Found another shipper quickly and was in the area and that went OK. Second shipper was an individual with pickup and trailer. Live down S and has a couple kids in Wa. Whenever he wanted to visit, he's contract for a load. Wasn't a full time shipper.

Ya gotta check on references and insurance. Wouldn't hurt to keep Identifying info on cargo.

First trip was for a JD 455 and cost something like $600. Second trip was for a FEL for the JD and it was cheaper.

He contracted again a couple weeks ago to ship a car from Wa to E coast. Cost something a little under $1k. Don't know if this was through uship.