how to get roundup out of sprayer?

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
I rinsed it out with water after I used round up a few weeks back. What else should I do to make sure I don't wipe out my grass? Thanks

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #2  
I rinsed it out with water after I used round up a few weeks back. What else should I do to make sure I don't wipe out my grass? Thanks

I think you will be OK. One of my sprayers (12v) recommends the following:

1. fill the tank part way and then run the sprayer
2. fill the tank part way, add a cleaning agent (dish detergent works) and then run the sprayer, and
3. fill the tank part way and then run the sprayer.

Steve

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #3  
Many farm chemicals have what is called triple rinse. Thoroughly rinse and drain 3 times... you 'should' be good then. I always pump some thru after the tank is rinsed out and then leave the lid lid off to let it air out a bit. Of course there is always the instructions...

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #4  
Many farm chemicals have what is called triple rinse. Thoroughly rinse and drain 3 times... you 'should' be good then. I always pump some thru after the tank is rinsed out and then leave the lid lid off to let it air out a bit. Of course there is always the instructions...
When I took Private Applicator Course, they also taught us to use Ammonia as a cleaning agent... Then Rinse..

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #5  
I flush the whole system with water then add bleach then rinse one more time. Works great. Good luch

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #6  
Round up is actually a great tank cleaner alone...it will remove all traces of 2-4D if you have any in there from your yard spraying. That said, you still have to remove the Round-up from the tank before going back. Rinse till you don't see bubbles-fill up part way, slosh around to get top and sides of tank, dump/pump out, repeat. Be sure to flush any agitation/return lines, booms, and hand wands during each step. If you want to be real sure, add some ammonia or get a tank cleaner product where-ever you buy your chemicals from and use that during one of your last flushes. I don't usually do this w/ RUP, b/c it comes out easily, but you can. Always remember to treat the flush water as chemically treated, don't do this in your yard, you'll not be happy. I tend to spray off my first tank or so of rinse on weeds around, sometimes they die, sometimes not, but it doesn't cost me much.

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #7  
I empty my 30 gal sprayer tank (drain the mixed roundup into a container to save for hand spraying). Then I rinse the tank with the water hose, add a few gallons of water and flush the entire system and drain. That is all I do. The few parts per million concentration of any remaining roundup when filling the tank the next time with 30 gal of 2-4D mix is not enough to hurt the lawn.

Somewhat related story:
Neighbors brother borrowed his sprayer, and asked what he used to keep the dandelions out of his lawn. He said 2-4D.
The brother went to his local hardware store and asked a young clerk for 2-4D. The clerk said they didn't have 2-4D. When asked what they sell to kill dandelions, the clerk gave him Roundup.
Now the brother didn't pay any attention to what Roundup was, and sprayed a pretty nice looking lawn with Roundup. Turned yellow and then brown. He was not too happy, but part of it was his own fault for not reading any labels.

Last edited:
   / how to get roundup out of sprayer? #8  
i triple rinse, first a tank of water, second rinse i add half a gallon of bleach, third rinse, water again. letting the mixing pump run continually, for about 10 minutes per tank full.

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #9  
When I took Private Applicator Course, they also taught us to use Ammonia as a cleaning agent... Then Rinse..

I would like to try this. Do you know what the concentration of ammonia should be per gallon of water? Clear ammonia or sudsy?

Thanks!!

/ how to get roundup out of sprayer? #10  
Fellas, the ammonia/bleach idea is way over kill. I spray lots of round up from small hand sprayer, 12-30 gal electric sprayers and from our 1,200 gallon sprayer. I buy round up in 350 gallon totes. You just need to rinse out the sprayer. I do it a couple of times but once would probably be enough. The important part is to flush not only the tank but the lines as well. (I speak from experience on the lines and spray nozzle.) Remember, any tiny traces of Round up are diluted with the next type of spray and too weak to be effective. The vast majority of people apply round-up in way too strong of a mix.

Using ammonia/bleach is asking for more problems than of any benefit with the use of round up. Ammonia/bleach will cause stains, more toxic to environment, inhalation of fumes is not good and will ruin clothes. Not needed to clean the tanks.