Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP?

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Finally found a local, nice condition 15' batwing for a reasonable price. It's a Woods 180. Woods claims it can be run on as little as 45 PTO HP. I have 62.

Anyone have actual experience running a 15' off 62 or less HP?

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #2  
I run a JD HX 10' on a 50 pto hp JD 4520. The hardest part is starting the mower. With electronic engagement, the pto starts so abruptly, it will kill the tractor unless I have around 2000-2200 rpm. A 15' would be much worse. In mowing heavy grass, it will bog down the engine but usually I need to slow down more to get a better cut rather from not enough power, but I think I am on the edge of running a 10' mower with that tractor. On a hot day, A/C on and mowing heavy grass, the water temp is near the upper limits of normal. I have to keep the radiator clean especially when mowing with the wind to keep the engine cool enough. Heavy grass is harder to mow than 1" diameter, shrubs and brush or small trees.

I also have a JD HX 15' on a 125 hp Case-IH 125. That tractor has no issues. It has electronic pto but with soft start and engages the mower easily. My 15' batwing manual states minimum pto hp is 55 and I think that is on the very edge as well. I have not tried it, but I am fairly sure my 4520 could not start the 15' batwing without extreme effort.

You would have 5' more mower and 12 more hp than my 4520. Overall, I think you tractor is over matched with a 15' batwing. I think you need to be in the 75 pto hp range to get best use. Before you buy, I would definitely put your tractor on the mower and try it in some moderate to tough conditions.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #3  
You're fine with that big M series
I run a 15' landpride COMMERCIALLY off a NH TN75. Rated at 62 PTO HP, I put it on a PTO dyno and it made 67 (which is mighty impressive, esp since I"m at 5000 feet).

It will run as fast as I dare to keep from getting beat to death. typically I run about 5mph. really thin stuff I'll run 6mph.

big thick tall grass can really bog it down, but that's down to 3mph or so.
Kocia weed can bog it down too, simply can't cut all the bulky weed and deal with the new cutting. A better batwing might help (deeper sides to handle the more stuff) but it works.

But it works fine. More HP would be better of course, but this is what I own.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP?
I really want a 12' batwing, but they're harder than an 8' flail to find.

Hard to believe Woods website says their 180 15 footer will run on 45 PTO.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #5  
Guess it depends on what you're mowing. If it's a heavy yard, maybe. I pull a 15' mower with a IH756 D, and find myself looking for more alot of the time in waist high+ weeds and heavy brush.

Guess it depends on what you're mowing. If it's a heavy yard, maybe. I pull a 15' mower with a IH756 D, and find myself looking for more alot of the time in waist high+ weeds and heavy brush.

That's what I'm going to be cutting-waist high weeds. I thought maybe what I could do is buy the 15' and only cut 10-12 feet when it's high/thick and use all 15' on occassions when I have lighter cutting. It's also adjustable up to 12" high, but I realize some want it cut down lower than that.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #7  
I wouldn't be as concerned if cutting tall weeds. I find that cutting 4' tall thick weed and brush areas are much easier than 18" thick dense fescue grass.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #9  
totally agree
most weeds go right thru it, up to 4 to 5 feet tall

thick grass is hard.

It will be fine.

buy it.