TD5050 Woes

/ TD5050 Woes #1  

PA Greene Farmer

Tractor
New Holland TD5050 Ford 4610 Belarus 825 cab
I bought a TD5050 last fall. Finally into my first hay season with the tractor and bad things are starting to happen. Power steering does not work at times and the hydraulics have gotten slow. Can't even completely curl the loader bucket without a long delay in response. I noticed a bit of a problem this winter while I was feeding out round bales. The tractor was new then and the power steering would freeze up completely. It would pop, crack and whine until the tractor was driven for a while. I noticed what looked like a blue/greenish fluid in the snow when the tractor would sit at idle. I thought that it was power steering fluid but my resivior is still full. The hydraulic issue has me stumped. I'm thinking that there is possibly some air in the system......but why and/or how? The air should purge its self when sumped to the rear end. Could it be a pump problem. And if so, could the hydraulic and steering problems be related?

/ TD5050 Woes #2  
Could it be a pump problem. And if so, could the hydraulic and steering problems be related?
Could be. Might also be a plugged hydraulic filter.
Definitely related. Unless I'm mistaken, the TD5050 does not have a separate steering pump or reservoir.

/ TD5050 Woes
Thanks for the advice Bigfoot. You were right about the filter. Seems like I should have picked up my user manual and read. NH recommends replacing this filter at 50 hours and I was at 190 hrs. I think that I was spoiled by my trusty old Ford 4610. I changed the filter and the problems went away. The filters are not too cheap though, but you got to have them so CNH has you by the bags. Now I am back to enjoying my TD and am not so skeptical about it.........for now.....lol. I just wish that the dealer would have alerted me about the quick service needs. Still learning I guess.

/ TD5050 Woes #4  
Glad a new filter fixed it. That was easy. :thumbsup:

/ TD5050 Woes #5  
I noticed what looked like a blue/greenish fluid in the snow when the tractor would sit at idle.

The only blue/greenish fluid I can think of is probably antifreeze. I'd check that the reservoir is not leaking. NH hydraulic fluid is colorless/slightly yellow. Their grease is also dyed blue, but that should be obvious if it were grease.