Looking to learn

/ Looking to learn #1  

glfrjerry

Tractor
8N 474217
I am looking to buy a tractor for light work and enjoyment.
I want a finish mower and bush hog and think I want an FEL.
I am in the midlands of South Carolina and am trying to find something
within 50/75 miles of me. What is the best time of year for price and availability? Thanks for your help.

/ Looking to learn #2  
:welcome: Best time to buy is "Dead" of winter when the dealer is moving slow. This is also the worst time for finding a wide variety of products to choose from. Ken Sweet

/ Looking to learn #3  
within 50/75 miles of me. What is the best time of year for price and availability? Thanks for your help.

New or used? Which dealers are in your area?

/ Looking to learn #4  
I prefer to buy new in the fall or winter because of the better prices and it gives me time to break them in before working them hard. When buying used whenever the right tractor for the right price shows up; usuall the same time, but not always.

/ Looking to learn #5  

you looking for new or used?

soundguy

/ Looking to learn #6  
Hey Jerry, welcome to the forum and howdy neighbor!! ;) I know my profile says Lexington (which is where I do live), but my tractor is about 60 miles north of me at my folks place in Union county. You came to a great place to seek advice. Many knowledgeable folks here for sure that are very willing to give you great advice. If you're looking for used, then for sure keep one eye on craigslist and the other eye on the Carolina Trader. If new, then you'll have to start making the rounds at all the local dealers to help you decide which color you want.

How much acreage have you got?
What will you be using the tractor for mostly??
How much money are you budgeting for this tractor?

Knowing those three things will help you get an idea of what will probably suit you the best but keep asking questions!!

If you are looking for new, and are not opposed to the chinese tractors, then R&R Motors in Irmo has a great deal on a new 4x4 FarmPro with a loader. It's about 26 or so hp (diesel), I think they had cut the price to $6500, last week but it may have gone back up to the usual $6995 by now. I go by there on the way to my folks house on the weekends, plus he posts them on CL a lot too so that's how I know about them. If you're interested, I can get the contact info if you need it.

/ Looking to learn
I only have about 3 acres, half in grass and half fairly heavily wooded. I know I can't justify the cost of a tractor because I could hire someone to do the work a lot cheaper. I have a zero turn mower that does a good job but will probably have to replace it soon at $3000-$4000. I rented a tractor with FEL and did some landscaping type earth moving and enjoyed the experience and can think of more projects I would enjoy.
I guess I'm thinking of a replacement for my mower (which I can justify) and adding the FEL and bush hog to do work that needs to be done and provide some entertainment for me. My expectations were that I could get something in the $5000-$6000 range.

/ Looking to learn #8  
that's crazy talk :).. you can always justify the cost of a tractor! :)

heck.. I run my 15' matwing up and down my 3 ac pasture at my house to knock weeds down in about 10-15 minutes. neighbors likely roll their eyes.. :)

soundguy

/ Looking to learn
Anyone have any experience with M&M in Hartsville, SC. They have a Yanmar 2000 with FEL and 4' King Kutter finish mower for $5200. I have seen mixed info on Yanmar 2000's here.

/ Looking to learn #10  
Anyone have any experience with M&M in Hartsville, SC. They have a Yanmar 2000 with FEL and 4' King Kutter finish mower for $5200. I have seen mixed info on Yanmar 2000's here.

That is tooo much. Should buy around $3800. Ken Sweet