NH 479 haybine belt replacement???

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement??? #1  

newbee83

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 870 Agri-King
Ok guys you all helped me out a great deal in the past , hopefully you will pull through for me yet again.

I have a 479 haybine and the belt on the PTO shaft side has alot of cracks and I want to replace it so it doesnt break mid mow. Except i cant figure out if there is an easy way to do it.
I notice the bottom puller i can get the belt around if I take the sickle bar bolt off but what about the top pully??? It looks like a real pain there is a shaft that goes from the gear box right to the rollers?? Anyone have any input ? Or is there a better way to go about this ? Thanks again

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement??? #2  
You have to pull the gearbox out of the side of the case. There is a caged bearing on the inside of the discharge area. Pull the cage plates off to reveal the bearing. The collar (with 2 Allen head retainers) may be frozen to the shaft, so if it doesn't loosen easily, just split it with a cold chisel or die grinder. TSC has the new bearing and collar as one item in a plastic container. Then pull out the chains and the gearbox bolts. If it has the one-way pin clutch, don't loose the pins and wave washers when you pull out the gearbox. Some of the pins may be worn, so think about having some new ones on hand. Slip the old belt off, slip the new one on, and put her back together. Once you get the back beaing off, its actually very easy. In fact, I'd recommend having a new bearing ready, anyways, just in case you need to persuade it to come off with a LARGE hammer. Just bust it off. Then you can crack the old bearing race off when the gearbox comes off. I'd also have some new chain on hand. There can be a lot of stretch in the main drive and the roll drive system. For a few extra bucks, it will be sure to last another 20 years.

This job is a splendid way to justify a battery powered impact wrench !

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement???
thanks a ton zz, I am going to try to tackle this project this week while I have some down time before 2nd cutting. Do You have an idea what the parts (inlcuding the belt) run me?Thanks a ton

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement??? #4  
There is a trick to this belt installation. Underneath the machine where the shaft from the gear box comes in contact with a bearing. Remove all bolts that hold the flanges. Remove the bolts on the plate that hold the gearbox to the machine. They are in an upside down L shape plate. Remove the PTO shaft from the gear box. Remove the Sickle bolt. Slide belt around the L plate first. When loosening this L plate it should drop down enough to slide belt in the crack, not having to take gearbox off machine
When belt on both pullys reverse the procedure and tighten all bolts back to specs

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement???
thanks fast cars, so the L brackets are under the covers where the chains are located?

/ NH 479 haybine belt replacement??? #6  
Thanks so much for this help. Never when your mechanci is available, and the internet is there. Worked like a charm :).