Restoring my MF 65

/ Restoring my MF 65 #1  

claytonmesker

Tractor
Massey ferguson 65
I am gonna start a restoration project on my tractor and I am wondering the best sander to use I am gonna purchase a grinder and a wire wheel to remove the rust

/ Restoring my MF 65 #2  
don't forget to purchase a mask, some of the older paints had lead in them, you do not want to breath that into your lungs. And even if it did not have lead in the paint do you want to coat the insides of your lungs with old paint? have fun with the restore! The old tractors have great charactor and look awesome restored.
Billy

/ Restoring my MF 65
Mur386 said:
don't forget to purchase a mask, some of the older paints had lead in them, you do not want to breath that into your lungs. And even if it did not have lead in the paint do you want to coat the insides of your lungs with old paint? have fun with the restore! The old tractors have great charactor and look awesome restored.
Billy

Thanks for the mask idea I forgot about that what sander would be better an orbital or a belt

/ Restoring my MF 65 #4  
I am gonna start a restoration project on my tractor and I am wondering the best sander to use I am gonna purchase a grinder and a wire wheel to remove the rust

If you need anything while restoring, we maybe able to help with some parts. Ken Sweet

/ Restoring my MF 65
sweettractors said:
If you need anything while restoring, we maybe able to help with some parts. Ken Sweet

Where are you located and do you have a website or anything

/ Restoring my MF 65 #6  
Thanks for the mask idea I forgot about that what sander would be better an orbital or a belt

Orbital sander is what you need. Stay away from grinding if at all possible. A small palm sander and some of the sponge pads with med grit on one side and coarse on the other (I found them handy for the crooks and crannys).

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a sander, 20 - 30 dollars will buy you what you need, unless you plan to take up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, then you would want to consider more expensive pneumatic tools.

You'll have fun and get to know your tractor pretty well.

A few pics of mine after getting a little TLC.

Attachments

• MF 135 014.jpg
    MF 135 014.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 5,098
  • MF 135 013.jpg
    MF 135 013.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 2,859
  • MF 135 009.jpg
    MF 135 009.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 715
   / Restoring my MF 65
Mike476 said:
Orbital sander is what you need. Stay away from grinding if at all possible. A small palm sander and some of the sponge pads with med grit on one side and coarse on the other (I found them handy for the crooks and crannys).

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a sander, 20 - 30 dollars will buy you what you need, unless you plan to take up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, then you would want to consider more expensive pneumatic tools.

You'll have fun and get to know your tractor pretty well.

A few pics of mine after getting a little TLC.

That's a good lookin tractor what do you think about sandblasting the sheet metal it has alot of rust I am kinda worried about pitting I want it to look as good as it did the day my great grandpa bought

/ Restoring my MF 65 #9  
You could sandblast all the skins if you want to, it would save you some work. I don't know how badly yours is rusted. Mine was owned by a poultry farmer so it had it's share of rust too. I didn't bother taking the smaller dings out of mine, although I did have to pound out the nose quite a bit, I think whoever owned it before me practiced rolling stops against whatever was in front of him :laughing:

The paint I used was left over from my painting my 04 Ram, poppy red. It's a pretty close match to the MF red, especially on the newer tractors (my neighbour just bought a 1528). I don't know that I would have gone through the expense of buying base/clear coat if I didn't have the paint leftover to do it but I'm glad I did, the clear coat is a very tough finish. I've rattled chains on the deck lid and around the fenders without so much as a scratch.

Good luck, post some pics as you make your way through the restoration. :thumbsup:

/ Restoring my MF 65 #10  
A palm sander works great, sand blasting will do a great job an remove any rust, after sand blasting treat the blasted area with acid it will kill any remaining. then prime an wet sand an fill any holes an re-prime, an finish paint. if your just going for a clean look sand blast prime an paint.Good luck an enjoy your restoration.
Army grunt