Mowing Did I mess up my cutter?

/ Did I mess up my cutter? #1  

LittleBlueTractor

Gold Member
Tractor
LS S3010
Bought my 5' cutter back in December. Used it for maybe 1.5 hours before yesterday. It was really hot and I used it for about an hour or so during the hottest part of the day. Noticed oil leaking out of the oil fill plug when I finished. Pulled out the manual and read: "DO NOT overfill gearboxes. This will cause pressure to build up and cause grease seals to leak." It also said to check for the proper level of oil to just remove the 1/8" oil level plug and see if the oil leaks out. (I assume they meant the 1/4" plug I actually pulled in the pictures below.) I pulled it and milky oil (aerated?) glugged out slowly for about 15 minutes. I should have checked before I used it, but I didn't. I'm thinking it may have been over filled. Any opinions on the state of my cutter? Also, there was some funky hard white plastic thing on the inside of the oil level plug. Came off really easy when I messed with it.

Attachments

• gearbox1.jpg
    gearbox1.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 203
  • gearbox2.jpg
    gearbox2.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 190
  • gearbox3.jpg
    gearbox3.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 213
  • gearbox4.jpg
    gearbox4.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 220
   / Did I mess up my cutter? #2  
I would agree that it appears to be overfilled. Been there, done that.

The white stuff looks like teflon pipe sealer. Not really needed IMO.

I would drain it if you can, I have used a suction gun (looks like a grease gun with a clear hose) to suck it out when I could not drain it.

Refill to the lower plug with gear oil.

Some gear boxes use 85-90, some 85-140 and still others use "00" grease.

Unless you blew out the bottom seal, I would think you will be ok.

PS: "milky" indicates moisture, from condensation I'l bet...

Last edited:
   / Did I mess up my cutter?
I would drain it if you can, I have used a suction gun (looks like a grease gun with a clear hose) to suck it out when I could not drain it.

Refill to the lower plug with gear oil.

Some gear boxes use 85-90, some 85-140 and still others use "00" grease.

PS: "milky" indicates moisture, from condensation I'l bet...

I'll look for the suction gun at Harbor Freight. (Hopefully it'll be a HF tool that does suck. :) )

You're right on the oil - manual says 85-90.

Not sure about moisture in the oil though because it cleared up pretty good before I wiped it up. On the other hand it's pretty humid down here in South Texas! Regardless, I'll change it out.

Thanks for the input.

/ Did I mess up my cutter? #4  
Well the whole purpose of that is you now know,,,if its still got oil in it next time you use it for 2-3 hours,means you didn't blow a seal...

/ Did I mess up my cutter? #5  
i've run into the same over the yrs. w/hogs. yes, moisture can be the culprit but also certain gear oils tend to foam up w/use more than others....some gear oils boast "anti foaming"....anyway, the air mixed w/gear oil will tend to take up more space, hence the overflow....so it's a balance between cold & hot levels. you probably did right to relieve the gearbox when hot. some fill plugs have weatherized weep holes for this sit. i really doubt if you damaged any seals, u can always look underneath for leaks on the output shaft or or input shaft on the pto. bet ur good to go.:thumbsup: bb

/ Did I mess up my cutter?
some fill plugs have weatherized weep holes for this sit. i really doubt if you damaged any seals, u can always look underneath for leaks on the output shaft or or input shaft on the pto. bet ur good to go.:thumbsup: bb

I've never seen a filler plug like that, so maybe you're right about the weep hole. But there was some oil on the pto shaft end.

Attachments

• oilplug.jpg
    oilplug.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 145
   / Did I mess up my cutter? #7  
That is a vent plug and you should check and see if it plugged off.

/ Did I mess up my cutter? #9  
It is a vent plug in the last pic, and where you fill with oil. You initially removed the oil-level check plug (1/4" but is 1/8" NPT).

I would let the oil drain to that level, put the 1/4 plug back in (not tight!, just snug) and run the cutter. I think your oil will be ok.

Keep an eye out for any seal leakage, but suspect you will be ok, as the vent was doing its job for you.

/ Did I mess up my cutter? #10  
That oil level plug does look to be 1/8...pipe plugs and bolts/nuts are sized by their "diameter" not what wrench they take...although pipe sizing is kinda weird and makes little sense intuitively since it is really based on pipe internal diameter..but I digress;)

Anyway- the oil doesn't look water contaminated to me but air entrained. As mentioned the fill/vent plug needs to be checked to be sure it breathes, take it off clean it up good and apply your lips and see if it will pass air both ways, sometimes they get painted or rusted shut.

Next time you run it let it sit awhile before pulling the check plug and see if the level is correct.