Mowing Poor cut with MMM

/ Poor cut with MMM #1  

RTII

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL 3940, Kubota M5 111
I've only used the 60"mmm on my BX2660 three times, yesterday being the last. From what I can remember of previous posts, most of you with the same deck seem very happy with the quality of cut. My deck however leaves a mohawk look after each pass and requires a second pass to level the grass. Grass was always mowed dry. Is this normal? What could cause it and what might be the fix? Dull blades? Some sort of alignment issue?

Thanks for any advice given.

Reily

/ Poor cut with MMM #2  
Mohawk?! something is seriously wrong. Check the blade bolts first. I suggest that you remove the deck from BX to inspect everything closely. Make sure that each blade has 2 cupped washers on each spindle pointing towards deck. Next check the bolt tightness holding the spindles to all 3 . There been some reports of looseness of the bolts holding the spindles. IF everything checks out, next measure each blade length and make sure each one is 20 9/16.

Which side is the mohawk on? a properly maintained deck cuts beautifully and I have NO problems with mine.

/ Poor cut with MMM #3  
Can't improve on what Radioman said, mine cuts great. I have had a blade come loose; torque is 75-80 lbs.

/ Poor cut with MMM #4  
I'll make it a third that had the middle blade come loose and I got the mowhawk look also when it happened. The only time I have trouble with the cut of mine is when its wet, I mow to fast, or I mow the grass in the same direction to many times.

/ Poor cut with MMM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll get the deck off this afternoon and check the bolts. Radioman, seems the mohawk is either side of the middle blade but within it's cut radius, so actually it sometiomes looks like 2 mohawks. One is generally more pronounced than the other.

/ Poor cut with MMM #6  
I'd also just check to see if the blades were mounted with the right side up!!!

The overall quality of Kubota decks mowing abilities is high when compared to other makes so I'm quite sure something is wrong!!!

/ Poor cut with MMM #7  
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll get the deck off this afternoon and check the bolts. Radioman, seems the Mohawk is either side of the middle blade but within it's cut radius, so actually it sometimes looks like 2 Mohawks. One is generally more pronounced than the other.

You should be able to check your blades without taking the deck off, I just jack mine up and put jack stands under the axles. I find it easier than pulling the deck; just a thought.

/ Poor cut with MMM
Well, got the deck off and lifted. Blades are on tight and right side up. Talked with my dealer and I'll bring it in next week and they'll do some checks to see what might be up. Dealer also agrees that the mower shouldn't streak and normally cuts well. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. Otherwise I'll post what the dealer finds next week.

/ Poor cut with MMM #9  
The only thing I can think of if the deck is O.K. is that you are mowing to fast and the grass is too long. When my son mows, it doesn't look as good as when I mow. I often mow with mine in low range, although I often have the HST pedal to the floor in low range. If the grass is really long, that could also make it not cut as well. It could also be a problem with the deck being out of level, or the front higher than the back, or the other way around. Just guessing here.

/ Poor cut with MMM
The only thing I can think of if the deck is O.K. is that you are mowing to fast and the grass is too long. When my son mows, it doesn't look as good as when I mow. I often mow with mine in low range, although I often have the HST pedal to the floor in low range. If the grass is really long, that could also make it not cut as well. It could also be a problem with the deck being out of level, or the front higher than the back, or the other way around. Just guessing here.

I don't think mowing speed is the problem. Adjusted speed from slow to real slow. It did help some but as I was already in low gear, I'm thinking I don't want to have to crawl. Long grass - what would be considered too long to achieve a good cut? I'm not mowing every week so grass is longer than someones' manicured lawn but it's not slowing the blade speed down (I don't think) nor bogging the engine. Dealer suggested maybe out of level as well and is one of the checks he'll do next week.