Case/ New Holland CVT trans

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #1  

farmall40

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Farmall 40 cvt
Hi everyone, 1st post here on TBN. Seems to be tons of info on here and am looking foreward to this forum. Ok, let me start by saying I just purchased a 2010 Case farmall 40 CVT with a cab. I just sold a TC40D with 1000 hours and the only thing I did to the NH in 8 years, was a battery and 1 loader hydro hose. The NH was bullet proof. I would have bought a 3040 but my dealer had the case on the lot and resulted in a better price. Now to my question, does anybody else have a CVT because I have what sounds like a hydro oil gurgaling(sp) noise that the dealer says is normal for the CVT. Thanks for any replies.

Todd

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans
Nobody?

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #3  

Sorry mate, No body is biting as you will not find many people with the CVT transmission around here. By being #1 person actually owning one behooves you to keep us posted on your experience both good and bad. We have experienced NH people here that chime in from time to time with good info. They might have had a training in this regard. I'm not sure if driving and driven pulleys on a CVT are fully immersed in oil or not but can see some gurgling sounds as the as the pulley sheave is changing.

Welcome to TBN Blue:)

JC,

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #4  
I have owned a New Holland 3040 w/CVT for a little over a year. I do notice some noises, especially when in neutral (to me it sounds like more of a popping than a gurgle). I get more noise from the power steering pump, since I believe that the PS pump on my unit is at the bottom of the steering shaft, and the noise of the pump seems to be amplified by/travel up the shaft. Having a cab on the tractor makes it seem louder, but turning up the radio seems to fix that problem :thumbsup:. As for trouble with the CVT, earlier this year I had a couple of codes thrown by the computer, about a solenoid voltage issue, simply unplugging & re-seating the connector seems to have fixed the problem, and it has not re-surfaced. BTW the tractor is stored outside, so I kind of expect some of these type of issues to crop up from time to time. Hopefully I can move it indoors in the next year as we are planning on building a pole barn in the near future.

I only have about 75 hours on the tractor, so I am by no means a "power user" of the machine, but up to this point, I would rate the NH 3040 w/CVT a #1.

Thanks for the replies, It will take a while to get used to the CVT but so far this thing has unstopable power. It's power is amazing. It also is incredibly fast, been going 21.5 mph down the road. In the few hours I have put on it, I would say it works circles around my old TC40D.(which I LOVED)

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #7  
The only CVT tractor i've ever driven was a boomer 8n. Just driving it around the lot made me wish i had the $$$ to bring it home. :laughing::DI have noticed that CVT is a little more "touchy" than the hydro model tractors i have used.

The CVT's are more touchy but the nice thing about it is that the reactivity can be customized to your need. I've changed mine through the electronic dashboard several times before I was comfortable with how fast the tractor speeds up and slows down.

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #9  
Farmall40, does your tractor have the separate brake pedals on the left or did you get that "parade tractor" setup with the single brake pedal on the right?;) Can you stall the engine, or does the CVT release as the rpm drops? I obviously haven't driven a CVT. Maybe I should go do it sometime.

Yes it does have seperate brakes, and with the anti-stall on, it will not stall. This thing is awsome. I am a contractor, and today I stripped the sod for a pole barn. Cut about 6" out , and it just keeps pushing even after the bucket is full. Had sod and topsoil rolling over the top of the bucket like a skid steer. If it has traction, it will push.