John Deere 3120 oil change.

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #1  

jonnysteals

Bronze Member
I dont have my tractor manual right in front of me. Can anyone please tell me how much oil and what oil it takes. Just broke 100 hours so I am going to change the oil even though the dealership said I do not need to do it until 200 hours. Thanks

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #2  
Okay, i have serviced the 3720 so it should be the same. First, find a bucket or pan, and crawl under the middle of the tractor. There are actually 2 oil drains. Unscrew the one that is closest to you (on both left and right for convenience) and slowly unscrew it. Once oil starts coming out, pull the plug away (so you wont drop it in oil pan.) Once oil is drained out, screw the plug back on top hand tight with a wrench for easy servicing. Next, remove your oil filter. If you have rough hands or good gloves, it should screw right off. If not, put a screw driver through the filter (your throwing it away anyways) and unscrew it. Put a new filter on to hand tight. Next, you will need a funnel. Unscrew the oil cap and insert funnel. Location is kinda hard as the funnel has to be squeezed between tractor and FEL (if you have it on). Then you put in 5 quarts of oil, periodically checking the level. Once it is full, put cap back on. (that's it) :thumbsup::thumbsup: hope this helps. :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #3  
straight from the manual.:thumbsup:
Changing Engine Oil and Filter
1. Run engine to warm the oil.
2. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)
3. Place drain pan under oil drain located on left side of engine.

MX20949
4. Remove drain plug (A).
Remove two drain plugs on model 3720.
5. Wipe dirt from around oil filter (B).
6. Turn filter counter-clockwise to remove.
7. Put a light coat of clean engine oil on the gasket of new filter.
8. Install replacement oil filter by turning filter clockwise until gasket contacts filter base. Tighten additional one-half turn.
9. Install drain plug. Do not overtighten.
Install two drain plugs on model 3720.
10. Remove oil fill cap (C).
11. Add recommended engine oil.
12. Install oil fill cap.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 3120 oil change. #4  
We just used the Johndeere light weight engine oil for the 3720.

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #5  
strait from the manual.:thumbsup:.

That's straight...not strait.
You're a good dude, Johndeere3720...and very helpful!! You've just got to work on your spelling a bit.

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #6  
Okay, i have serviced the 3720 so it should be the same. First, find a bucket or pan, and crawl under the middle of the tractor. There are actually 2 oil drains. Unscrew the one that is closest to you (on both left and right for convenience) and slowly unscrew it. Once oil starts coming out, pull the plug away (so you wont drop it in oil pan.) Once oil is drained out, screw the plug back on top hand tight with a wrench for easy servicing. Next, remove your oil filter. If you have rough hands or good gloves, it should screw right off. If not, put a screw driver through the filter (your throwing it away anyways) and unscrew it. Put a new filter on to hand tight. Next, you will need a funnel. Unscrew the oil cap and insert funnel. Location is kinda hard as the funnel has to be squeezed between tractor and FEL (if you have it on). Then you put in 5 quarts of oil, periodically checking the level. Once it is full, put cap back on. (that's it) :thumbsup::thumbsup: hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Good info, although according to the manual the 3720 uses 6.0 quarts. The 3120 uses 5.1 quarts. Also looks like only the 3720 has two drain plugs. Probably has to do with the larger capacity.

Fluid Capacities

Crankcase w/ Filter (3120, 3320, 3520) 4.8 L (5.1 qt.)

Crankcase w/ Filter (3720) 5.7 L (6.0 qt.)

Transmission and Hydraulic System (PowrReverser Models) 23.8 L (6.3 gal.)

Transmission and Hydraulic System (eHydro Models) 25.7 L (6.8 gal.)

Front Axle 4.5 L (1.2 gal.)

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #8  
Spelling correction? Really? On TBN? That would be a full time job. :laughing::laughing:

When it comes to spelling...I'm an admitted whackjob.

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #9  
When it comes to spelling...I'm an admitted whackjob.

i am not the best speller, but i guess thats what spell check is for. :laughing:

/ John Deere 3120 oil change. #10  
That's straight...not strait.
You're a good dude, Johndeere3720...and very helpful!! You've just got to work on your spelling a bit.

thanks Roy. :thumbsup: i know the spelling thing. :(:ashamed: i fixed it though. thanks. :thumbsup: