Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one??

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Been looking for a little while for an upgrade in tillers from a 48 in tiller too something a little bigger. Was darn near settled on the popular KK 60" tiller for price, gear driven and seemingly bulletproof design. THEN a JD 655 tiller with a whole whopping total of 3 hours on it has turned up.... I dont think the jd is side gear driven but its in the "commercial use" category. The prices between the two are with-in 100-200 bones of each other. I did notice the 655 has a bolt-on torque tube, that would be a most handy option come time for tine replacement or other repair situations and the KK does not. Input on which tiller you would be most likley to get would be appreciated :thumbsup:

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #2  
I have a JD 660 that has served me very well. There are other things to a tiller than the chain/gear drive issue (which I think is really a overblown issue). Seals, quality of tines and other things. I would get the John Deere and not give the "chain thang" a second thought.

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #3  
We sell the Hawkline/International 60 inch Geardrive for $1595 + modest shipping. Slip clutch and 6 tines per rotor. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• Hawklinetillerspecs.jpg
    Hawklinetillerspecs.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 582
   / Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #4  
hi
I have had a 655 for about 6 years and use it to till some of the nastiest gravel (food plots). It has taken it very well. When i bought it from the dealer he assured me it was very tough and it has not let me down. Green always holds value.

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #5  
I'm a check the replacement tines price. I hate getting a machine and then getting taken advantage of on parts. I like KK stuff and have a yard full of their attachments, they do good. bjr

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one??
Thanks for the responses everyone:thumbsup: Ken has a good price on a new gear drive tiller, I've not even seen a hawkline tiller in person, just pics. More important than the brand is the 'chain thang' vs. gears in my book, or mabe just over-thinking it, just seems a chain would "stretch" faster than gears would wear in the heavy, concrete like clay I have here. Both tillers are top notch far as I can tell, the more popular one probably being the KK. Mabe I will see who's pencil can be the sharpest... and let that be the deciding factor:D

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #7  
We sell the Hawkline/International 60 inch Geardrive for $1595 + modest shipping. Slip clutch and 6 tines per rotor. Ken Sweet

Ken
When they say "gear driven", does that mean there is no chain drive at the end where the power is transferred to the tines?

Or are there gears to transfer that power under the cover on the end?

I'd like to see a spec sheet that shows those gears if anyone has one. Just to satisfy my curiousity. :)
thanks

Spruce Deere
Is it a 655 or a 660? I don't find a 655 in jdparts.

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #8  
Ken
When they say "gear driven", does that mean there is no chain drive at the end where the power is transferred to the tines?

Or are there gears to transfer that power under the cover on the end?

I'd like to see a spec sheet that shows those gears if anyone has one. Just to satisfy my curiousity. :)
thanks

beenthere, No chains. I will try to get a parts breakdown for you tomorrow when I go back in the office. Ken Sweet

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one??
Beenthere, It is a 655 and its under compact tractor attachments on the jdparts after you type in 655 in the model no. search. Also you can often tell a gear driven side case by just looking at the side case it self. If the side case is cast iron, it more than likely houses gears. A stamped or oil pan looking, one piece side cover usually houses a drive chain.

/ Jd 655 or KK 60" tiller...wich one?? #10  
Thanks for the tip.
Found the 660 tiller under the JD 655 compact tractor attachments.

So am thinking it is the 660 tiller.