John deere #9 sickle mower parts & manual questions

/ John deere #9 sickle mower parts & manual questions #1  

MikeinMich

I just purchased a john deere #9 sickle mower to use with my first attempt at cutting hay. I did manage (with some help) to get it hooked up, and actually cutting. But it's missing the grassboard (and apparently some other piece of wood as well. I saw a metal grassboard on e-bay- does anyone know whether this works? And do I really need one at all?

I was also wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a manual for this (and one for a new holland 65 hay baler as well- I've got a photocopy of that one but can't make out the pictures)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

/ John deere #9 sickle mower parts & manual questions #2  
While I don't know much about the machine specifically, I have located the parts manual that may be helpful.

It appears there are some reasonable offers on ebay for the manuals....

Good Luck!

/ John deere #9 sickle mower parts & manual questions #3  
RippySkippy
Note: There are two threads going on this.

/ John deere #9 sickle mower parts & manual questions #4  
Grassboards do work (at least mine does). It leaves a strip about one foot wide clear of cut hay. This provides a clear path for the inner shoe on the next round so that cut hay does not bunch up in front of the shoe, and also makes it easy to see the line between cut and uncut grass.

The grassboard on mine, a John Deere 350 mower, has about one foot of sheet metal and then three rods sticking out behind, the longest of which is a bit over two feet. From experience, both the sheet metal part and the rods are necessary for proper results.

If your cut grass is not bunching in front of the inner shoe, and if you can see the cut line clearly, I don't suppose a grassboard will do you much good.