3-Point Hitch 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #1  

yod67

Tractor
JD 4200, JD x360, JD z950r JD x739
I have a JD 4200. The problem is when I raise the 3 pt it keeps rising and works the engine. It use to stop rising when it got to the top of the travel.

thanks yod67

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #2  
probably needs adjustment in the linkage. Not familiar with that exact tractor but it sounds like it just thinks its supposed to go up a little more....shouldn't be hard to do.

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #3  
I am also not familiar with the 4200, but I have gotten quite intimate with my 955 :laughing: Mine has a rockshaft stop valve that is linked to the rockshaft that tells it to quit raising when it's at the top. The adjustment is simple... just loosen a jam nut and turn a turnbuckle. I would imagine that yours is similar.

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #4  
Similar to what Mechanos said. Couple pages from 4200 manual attached.

Attachments

• 4200 rockshaft.jpg
    4200 rockshaft.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 4200 rockshaft feedback.jpg
    4200 rockshaft feedback.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 189
   / 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200
So the problem is a lickage ajustment. I thought it might be a relief valve or a check valve problem.

thanks yod67

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #6  
When you move the three point control half way, does the hitch stop half way like it should? Or does it just keep raising?

If the lever is in the raise position it travels all the way to the top and then it works the engine till I back off the lever. I can raise the 3 pt and stop the rising in the middle of the travel and it will stay in that position.

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #8  
If the lever is in the raise position it travels all the way to the top and then it works the engine till I back off the lever. I can raise the 3 pt and stop the rising in the middle of the travel and it will stay in that position.

That shows the feedback works, and I agree the problem is just the mechanical adjustment mentioned. Sounds like the relief valve is doing its job. Proper linkage adjustment will keep it from moving far enough to activate that valve.

what actually does the relief valve do?

/ 3 pt keeps rising on my 4200 #10  
what actually does the relief valve do?

It relieves the system pressure when the rockshaft valve tries to keep extending the rockshaft piston after it reaches the end of it's stroke. If it didn't relieve the pressure.... something would go boom.