pto shaft snapped off

/ pto shaft snapped off #1  

bobidy

Tractor
yanmar 1610D
Hi folks. well my pto shaft snapped off flush with the housing today. No new shafts available. Hoye is checking salvage for me. Anyone here ever removed a pto assembly or replaced the shaft?

I haven't pulled anything yet to inspect the assembly. what's left of the shaft turns ok, all speeds still work. What am I in for here as far as difficulty of repair? Any tips, cautions or advice would be welcome.

/ pto shaft snapped off #2  
What model do you have?

/ pto shaft snapped off #3  
The whole PTO assembly looks pretty easy to remove from my manual, it removes as a whole unit. YOU could get that complete unit and replace the whole thing keeping your origianl for the bearings and gears in it for a future mishap. NO i dont have one and hope youcan find one.

How did it happen? Did the implement have a shearpin or clutch? Did it slip or break?

/ pto shaft snapped off #4  
bodidy
Do you think the oversize of the tiller may have contributed? Did you have a PTO extension on the PTO stub?

Sorry to hear of the break, and hope parts are easy to get ahold of at a reasonable cost.

/ pto shaft snapped off #5  
If all fails, try a machine shop to have one built.

/ pto shaft snapped off #6  
If Aaron at Hoye tractor doesn't have one, please give me a call.

I have the whole1610 unit gears shaft & all assembled, sitting on the shelf.

Please try www.hoyetractor first. :D:D:D

Ernie

/ pto shaft snapped off #7  
Hi folks. well my pto shaft snapped off flush with the housing today. No new shafts available. Hoye is checking salvage for me. Anyone here ever removed a pto assembly or replaced the shaft?

I haven't pulled anything yet to inspect the assembly. what's left of the shaft turns ok, all speeds still work. What am I in for here as far as difficulty of repair? Any tips, cautions or advice would be welcome.

The beauty of these old Yanmars is that they are easy to work on, even the PTO shaft is no big deal.

I broke one once, I added an over-running coupler to a YM1510D and put a mower on it...but I neglected to trim the driveshaft a little and when the mower got in just the right position it must have bottomed out and "snap". I never made that mistake again. I call it "tuition", where you pay to learn.

/ pto shaft snapped off
sorry, it's a 1610d. Ernie..I plan on getting a quote/price from both of you and any one else who might have whats needed b4 procuring the parts.

Last time I used the tractor was 4 tilling. I had removed the tiller and reinstalled the overrun clutch/shaft, but hadn't taken off the H bracket and top link from the 3pt. the top link has a rod welded across it for adjustment. That rod must have been under the overrun shaft.
I was using the loader this time, and needed to back up. There was a small stump in line with one of the 3pt arms so I pulled up the 3pt lever to the full up position. I instantly heard the pump protest but b4 I could push it back down it was over. The overrun went rolling on the ground with my pto shaft in it.

I actually did a walkaround of the tractor and checked fluids ect b4 starting it up but never noticed the situation. I must of had the toplink flipped up and back prior to installing the overrun last time or it would have been in the way an I would have removed it.

/ pto shaft snapped off
Hi..thought I'd post a follow up on repairing the pto on my 1610D.

I located a pto shaft (salvage) for 300.00 from one source. And the whole pto assembly (salvage) from tractor ernie for 429.00 I went with the assembly. It was in very good condition. I was able to clean it up with some parts cleaner, dress up the shifting arm shaft, an it was ready to go.

Pulling the pto assembly was super easy. Remove about 6 bolts from the plate. Then, remove a retainer bolt on the pto shift lever and pull it out about 3/8" to disengage from the shifting fork on the pto assembly and pull the pto assembly out. It's driven by a spline shaft about a foot long that uses spline couplers on both ends. one end couples to the transmission, the other to the pto. (sorry I didn't take pic's)

I couldn't get it to go back in the way it came out. I had every thing in neutral when I pulled it and the same on the reinstall but I could only get it to clear the shift lever and engage the fork properly with everything in the 540 position. It shifts into all speeds fine and runs smooth, no leaks. So..I'm back in biniss. a little poorer, a little wiser.
Bob.

Attachments

• part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 813
  • part3.jpg
    part3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 335
   / pto shaft snapped off #10  
That is good to hear. Do you have a pic to post of the old broken one you replaced? Just for comparison. :)