2520 vs 2720

/ 2520 vs 2720 #1  

JD Greg

Bronze Member
Tractor
currently 2008 JD X540. Looking at a JD 2305.
I just purchased a 2007 2520 with 84 hours on the clock with 60"
MMM and a 66" front blade. I think I got a pretty good buy on this
slightly used CUT. I hope I don't regret my decision.

Before I bought, I had also been looking at the 2720, just couldn't
find much in the slightly used market. Thought about going new, but
decided that slightly used would be a wiser decision for me.

The 2520 will compliment my 2305, which I most likely will keep and
use mostly for mowing.

My only concern, is that down the road, I will have wished I had gone
with the 2720 for the added HP and torque.

Mostly my 2520 will be for: light dirt work, moving snow, moving rock,
maybe some rear implements for landscaping work, such as a box blade,
tiller, etc...

Current implements that I have are: 200CX 53" FEL, 60" rear blade, 66" front blade for the 2520, ballast box, 47" snowblower for the 2305 and of course MMM for both the 2305 and 2520. I will have to get additional attachements to make the blower work on the 2520, just not sure that I will. May just leave it for the 2305. I would also like to go with a bigger rear blade, maybe a 6 footer. Will it handle a 6 footer ok? Mostly for moving snow and blading some rock.

Tell me that the 2520 will do everything that I want it to do and that I won't
regret my decision. It will just make me feel better. Anyone wish they would have went with the 2720 over the 2520?

I also posted a similar thread on MyTractorForum, so some of you may have already read something similar.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all responses.

Greg

/ 2520 vs 2720 #2  
I just purchased a 2007 2520 with 84 hours on the clock with 60"
MMM and a 66" front blade. I think I got a pretty good buy on this
slightly used CUT. I hope I don't regret my decision.

Before I bought, I had also been looking at the 2720, just couldn't
find much in the slightly used market. Thought about going new, but
decided that slightly used would be a wiser decision for me.

The 2520 will compliment my 2305, which I most likely will keep and
use mostly for mowing.

My only concern, is that down the road, I will have wished I had gone
with the 2720 for the added HP and torque.

Mostly my 2520 will be for: light dirt work, moving snow, moving rock,
maybe some rear implements for landscaping work, such as a box blade,
tiller, etc...

Current implements that I have are: 200CX 53" FEL, 60" rear blade, 66" front blade for the 2520, ballast box, 47" snowblower for the 2305 and of course MMM for both the 2305 and 2520. I will have to get additional attachements to make the blower work on the 2520, just not sure that I will. May just leave it for the 2305. I would also like to go with a bigger rear blade, maybe a 6 footer. Will it handle a 6 footer ok? Mostly for moving snow and blading some rock.

regret my decision. It will just make me feel better. Anyone wish they would have went with the 2720 over the 2520?

I also posted a similar thread on MyTractorForum, so some of you may have already read something similar.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all responses.

Greg

For what you plan on doing, I doubt you would even notice a difference between a 2520 and a 2720 even if you used them side by side. They are the same tractor with a minimal HP difference.

For all the ground engaging work you describe such as blading, FEL work, etc, you will be limited by weight and traction and NOT HP. So the added HP wouldnt gain anything in that regard.

IMO The only time that the added HP on these smaller machines is benificial is when doing a lot of PTO work. Bush hogging, tilling, etc. You mentioned tilling, but again, the minimal difference would hardly be noticable.

As to the seze of the blade, a 6'er would bo okay for snow removal and LIGHT dirt work. But you will have a difficult time trying to take a sizable bite in dirt with that blade. I sometimes bite off more than I can chew with my kubota 3400 and ags with the 6' blade.

/ 2520 vs 2720 #3  
The only time I wish my 2520 had more power is when I put my 5 foot flail on and mow down my 7 acres of 5 foot tall grass/hay. Other than that, its got enough power in every other way i use it. Moving snow, I rarely run it over half throttle, and never ever labor it. I usually plow in HI range unless its a heavy 12+ inch snowfall. I'm in WI, so your tiny snowfalls should be a joke in comparison. :laughing:

Enjoy the 2520, and don't beat yourself up over a bigger unit. there is ALWAYS something out there thats newer and better, so you'll never have the best of the best unless you have an unlimited budget.

/ 2520 vs 2720 #4  

I just got a new 2520, and although I haven't had a lot of seat time, I can't see where I would need anything more.

I will be doing pretty much the same with mine as you plan to do. A little "weed whacking" with the loader bucket, and using it for a wheelbarrow, snow plowing, with a quicktatch 54" blade set-up, and some mowing. (I also have the 62" deck)

I also have an X495, which will be my main mower.

The 2520 and 2720 are virtually the same machine in all other respects other than the extra ponies, and as another poster said, I think you will run out of traction much sooner than engine power.

I have no regrets........other than that JD has removed the lifting brackets from the newer 62D decks, supposedly because folks didn't see it as an advantage to be able to pick up the deck on the 3PTH. You probably meant that you have the 62" deck (you wrote 60") so you probably do have the lifting brackets..........Lucky guy.

REV

/ 2520 vs 2720 #5  
The main benny of the 2720 is PTO hp. If you're OK with your implements I wouldn't be too concerned. Both chasis are the same so you can trade up in a year or so if you feel you made a mistake but I doubt you will.

Enjoy the 2520.
Rob

/ 2520 vs 2720 #6  
If I am doing the math correctly....the difference I see between a 2720 and 2520 is 200. If you can live with that then I think you will be happy with your decision. :)

/ 2520 vs 2720 #7  
I have a 2720...great tractor...but i had a 4100 before...for what i use my tractor for (mowing, plowing snow, yard work, moving pellets for stove) i should have kept my 4100...the only real time that i notice a differnece is when i mow and the grass has gotten away from me or a little wet...the machine dosnt bog down like my 4100 did...I had the smaller bucket on my 4100 and never had problems lifting with it...my 2720 with the bigger bucket seems to lack power..but im overall happy with the machine...i'm hoping to never buy another one!!!1

/ 2520 vs 2720 #8  
I have a 2720...great tractor...but i had a 4100 before...for what i use my tractor for (mowing, plowing snow, yard work, moving pellets for stove) i should have kept my 4100...the only real time that i notice a differnece is when i mow and the grass has gotten away from me or a little wet...the machine dosnt bog down like my 4100 did...I had the smaller bucket on my 4100 and never had problems lifting with it...my 2720 with the bigger bucket seems to lack power..but im overall happy with the machine...i'm hoping to never buy another one!!!1

Brian,
I hoped that too with my LAST tractor..... I was wrong!

Rob

/ 2520 vs 2720 #10  
The HP race is never over. Always could use one notch larger. I was looking at the 2520s when I bought a left over 4110. It was considerably cheaper and with the four wheel drive it seems to handle the small jobs quite efficiently. Cheap on fuel also. For larger jobs I have a D-15 Allis and the TC 55 DA. The Yanmar is a great little power plant and I see no reason to update ..... except for style. I try to find an excuse every 6-7 years... not that I need to its because I can. Old muscle cars are keepers... tractors new and polished. JD and NH have great resale so it doesn't cost alot to get the latest number machine they come out with. I can think of worse vices.