Front wheel locking up

/ Front wheel locking up #1  

TU1900F

Tractor
Iseki TU1900F
My son drove our Iseki TU1900F into a gopher tortoise hole hanging up the right front wheel. Took him a bit of wrestling to get it unstuck but no problems resulted at that time.
The next day I was bush hogging with the machine and quite suddenly, after running the machine for a while in 2 wheel drive, the right front wheel suddenly locks up. I stopped & put her into reverse & it unlocked. I tried running it in 4wd & it ran fine for a while, just like in 2wd.
I continued to run the machine, thinking it might be a fluke one time thing but throughout the day, it has locked up repeatedly.
I don't have any service manuals for this machine & I can't locate an exploded view diagram of the front hub assembly.
I want to pull it apart but would really like some insight before doing so.

Any ideas on what could have occurred internally to cause this issue?
Any suggestions on how to move forward on this?

Many thanks.............

/ Front wheel locking up #2  
I would jack up one front wheel at a time and slowly rock the wheel back and forth listening and feeling for roughness . See if you can hear or feel grinding of clunking as something sounds like it's broken inside . It may also help to drop the oil into a clean container and check for metal . You may be lucky and have only broken an outer CV joint so look at this first .

/ Front wheel locking up #3  
My son drove our Iseki TU1900F into a gopher tortoise hole hanging up the right front wheel. Took him a bit of wrestling to get it unstuck but no problems resulted at that time.
The next day I was bush hogging with the machine and quite suddenly, after running the machine for a while in 2 wheel drive, the right front wheel suddenly locks up. I stopped & put her into reverse & it unlocked. I tried running it in 4wd & it ran fine for a while, just like in 2wd.
I continued to run the machine, thinking it might be a fluke one time thing but throughout the day, it has locked up repeatedly.
I don't have any service manuals for this machine & I can't locate an exploded view diagram of the front hub assembly.
I want to pull it apart but would really like some insight before doing so.

Any ideas on what could have occurred internally to cause this issue?
Any suggestions on how to move forward on this?

Many thanks.............

I,m not familiar with that model , Pics of the front end setup would help . I just went through the same exact problem with my TA 250F . If yours is setup like mine I can walk you through it . Hopefully you will have better luck finding parts then I am . :( I removed the the lower spinle & axle gears as well as bot axles & have been using it in 2 WD .

These two pics are the type of hub & spindle assembly on mine .

Heres the link to Mine & some tear down pics . Good luck .

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/iseki/181762-needing-frontend-gears-brgs-ta250f.html

Attachments

• P8280004.JPG
    P8280004.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 198
  • P8280002.JPG
    P8280002.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 197
   / Front wheel locking up
I,m not familiar with that model , Pics of the front end setup would help . I just went through the same exact problem with my TA 250F . If yours is setup like mine I can walk you through it . Hopefully you will have better luck finding parts then I am . :( I removed the the lower spinle & axle gears as well as bot axles & have been using it in 2 WD .

These two pics are the type of hub & spindle assembly on mine .

Heres the link to Mine & some tear down pics . Good luck .

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/iseki/181762-needing-frontend-gears-brgs-ta250f.html

My wheel hub looks exactly like the photos you provided.

I pulled the wheel off & pulled the hub apart.
I immediately saw the problem.
The bearing was broken & the bearing seat in the hub was missing a chunk of the wall. a good portion of the bearing seat remains but a piece was broken off & of course, when that happened, the bearing came out of its seat, wobbled around, and finally disintergrated

I didn't have a camera with me but I will take photos & post.

My challenge now is locating a replacement wheel hub as I do not think the raceway can be welded & machined.

Any suggestions on where to start my search for this part?

/ Front wheel locking up
You may be able to have the housing bored out on a milling machine and a reducing sleeve pressed in to bring it back to standard . I have just had this done on my truck .

Hmmmmmmmmmmm................
I wonder if there's enough existing material there to work with.
I'm thinking there may have to be some metal welded in to make up for the lost piece, but the unit is cast iron & almost impossible to reliably weld & machine.

/ Front wheel locking up #7  
Send some pic's of this damaged cast iron housing and bearing/race....4 Shorts in Newfoundland Canada, I heard tell ,is an excellent welder of all kinds of metals and has his own fully equipped shop, he would be the guy you need to solve your issues, not too sure if he would do the work, you need ,send some pic's, whatever he needs to charge price wise, plus first shipping your old part to him and him shipping back to you after it's repaired,you could ask him if he could help you,I live in Canada and he's still over 2000 miles from where I live here in Ontario,he be on the other main tractor forum.....Ampa

/ Front wheel locking up #8  
My wheel hub looks exactly like the photos you provided.

I pulled the wheel off & pulled the hub apart.
I immediately saw the problem.
The bearing was broken & the bearing seat in the hub was missing a chunk of the wall. a good portion of the bearing seat remains but a piece was broken off & of course, when that happened, the bearing came out of its seat, wobbled around, and finally disintergrated

I didn't have a camera with me but I will take photos & post.

My challenge now is locating a replacement wheel hub as I do not think the raceway can be welded & machined.

Any suggestions on where to start my search for this part?

Pics would help as said , I,m assuming your talking about the steering knuckle housing where the hub bearing rests into as in the 2nd pic here ? If so I cant say for sure about welding the missing piece . But I,d would think that any good welder would most likelly be able to repair it , I would check locally myself , You might check a machine shop as well , most have their own good welders . ;)

Hard to say where to get a used one , As I,ve had my post on here for a month or so & sent emails to all of the suppliers that accept emails & no responce from anyone except Southern Global just trying to find the gears , & even they said the gears would have to be ordered from japan & they would run several 100 bucks each . But several have told me my gears could be welded & machined back down .

Not knowing where you are located makes any other suggestions tough to give . :D But if you are in the states you might check with West Kentucky Tractor Parts - Kevil, Kentucky .

Also I,m not sure what all tractors use the same front end , but if My 250F is just like yours it would make my search much easier I beleive , but i,m not getting any assistance even finding that out . :(

I,ve been using mine without the broken gears in 2WD & now I have broke something in the rearend & I am in the middle of tearing it apart . Depending on what I find in there will depend on wether I repair mine or might posiblly be parting it out . If the parts are THAT rare I figure mine might be worth a whole lot more as a parts tractor then what it is to fix . :D

Best of luck to you & please keep us updated on what you find out , we might just be able to help each other . Check your personal messages .

Attachments

• P8290001.JPG
    P8290001.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 180
  • P8290003.JPG
    P8290003.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 202
   / Front wheel locking up
I'll get some photos this coming weekend & post them.
It would be great if this be repaired.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks!

/ Front wheel locking up #10  
After seeing those photos I doubt it can be repaired now . It is not the best design Ive seen , not enough meat around the bearing seat to start with . And straight cut gears would not have been my choice , helical cut gears would have been much stronger and without the tendency to force themselves apart which in turn would have levered the bearing out at the bottom breaking the casting .