Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #1  

micromike

Silver Member
Tractor
None In decision Mode
Lent out my stand alone log spllitter to a neighbor and he starved the pump. It says right on the splitter that letting the fluid drop below a certain point could starve the pump and ruin it. Don't know what he did but it came back with a different filter on it and wouldn't work/split. It took over a gallon of hydrolic (sp?) to fill it.

The question is, can these pumps be rebuilt or do I need a new pump? Tia

Mike

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #2  
<font color=blue>...can these pumps be rebuilt or do I need a new pump?...</font color=blue>

Yep... and Yep...

A kit may cost almost as much as a new pump... some BUCKS...

and in some cases... for a few dollars more you can buy a completely new log splitter... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #3  
Mike,depending on which type of pump you have.splitters useally have a vane or gear hyd pump.If you have a cast center you can reasonably rebuild it.They have about 12 carbon vanes.when run dry the carbon burns out...If your pump is of the aluminum type it probably would be much cheaper to buy a replacement from Northern Hydraulics.Tear it apart and visually look at it....Sid

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump
Thanks guys. I believe it's cast as it's quite heavy for a small part. I'll take it apart this weekend and see what I can find.

Mike

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #5  
I was at a local store around here that is informally known as The Mans Mall. My reason for hanging out there was to put together my parts list and cost estimate for the log splitter I plan on building this winter.

They have several hydraulic pumps in stock. The one that caught my attention was a Barnes 2 stage 16 gpm for $150.

Borrowing equipment is always a difficult thing. If you bust your own stuff, you have to fix it. If the person you lend your stuff to busts it, well it was ready to break anyway. It's hard to say no, but sometimes thats the cheapest. There was a big thread on borrowing stuff earlier this year.

Hopefully you get your pump repaired or replaced without a huge expense or hassle.

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #6  
Mike,If you go for a new pump get the 2 stage as the other member suggested,it will greatly ease the load on the engine....Mike

/ Log Splitter Hydrolic Pump #7  
U don't say what size splitter it is but to be 1 gal. low on
oil shouldn't have hurt it.
The tank should be as large as the GPM of the pump.
So 10 GPM should have 10 gal. tank and the suction side of
pump comes off the tank at a low point.
Unless u have a 2 GPM pump or smaller it should have larger tank.
If the pump is starved of oil when only 1 gal. low on oil it
would have overheated the oil and burnt up pump when it
was used much.
The filter would have used 1 qt. of oil to fill.