JD 212 Electric Lift Problems

/ JD 212 Electric Lift Problems #1  

chuebner

Tractor
John Deere 212
Hi guys...new poster here......

QUESTION----- I have a mid 70's JD 212 with the electric lift option for my mulcher, mower and snow blower attachments. Last winter while plowing snow, the lift just quit working. The two solenoids appear to be working, that is to say, they click when moving the lift lever up and down.

I went under the tractor and disconnected the plug to the electric lift motor/actuator assembly, and jumpered it direct to a 12 volt power source and the motor just moved the actuator a fraction and stopped.

Do you think the motor is fried or could the actuator be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time answering this post!

Regards
Curtis

/ JD 212 Electric Lift Problems
Well, I think I have the problem solved... I took the motor/actuator assy out, checked the motor (checked out fine), then I proceeded to take the actuator apart and, VOILA, broken shock dampeninig spring inside the actuator.

It is the spring that dampens the impact from the motor when it goes from forward to reverse. One of the tabs had broken off and the spring was binding up going one direction.

I bent the spring to form a new tab, then installed, and it is working good again!;)

Next question

The muffler is rusting out, 12HP Kohler.... where can I get a suitable replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg north of the 49th???

Thanks
Curtis

/ JD 212 Electric Lift Problems #3  
What's an "arm and a leg" in $$ ?

/ JD 212 Electric Lift Problems #5  
My electric lift seems very slow. I wonder if it maybe having the same issues as yours? JD 210