L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #1  

topaz107

I been losing power on the front loader for a while (LA 480). I already ordered a kit (springs and valves) and replaced them in the valves' assembly, however the problem is still there. I probably didn't do something correctly, so the valves are not aligned, or something similar. I have no loss of hydraulic fluid at all, it just that the loader operates with less power, regardless of the position of the handle (dump/raise/etc).

At this point I'm ready to look for a factory replacement (online), but this would come close to $1,500 for that valve. I could probably do that replacement myself, and not worry that I will mess something up.

What do you think? Do I have other options? I hate to go to local dealer, as I was always ripped off (compared with online outsourcing).

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #2  
topaz107 said:
I been losing power on the front loader for a while (LA 480). I already ordered a kit (springs and valves) and replaced them in the valves' assembly, however the problem is still there. I probably didn't do something correctly, so the valves are not aligned, or something similar. I have no loss of hydraulic fluid at all, it just that the loader operates with less power, regardless of the position of the handle (dump/raise/etc).

At this point I'm ready to look for a factory replacement (online), but this would come close to $1,500 for that valve. I could probably do that replacement myself, and not worry that I will mess something up.

What do you think? Do I have other options? I hate to go to local dealer, as I was always ripped off (compared with online outsourcing).

Why is it loosing power? Pump worn? Relief valve failed? Worn or blown out piston seal? Was the pressure checked? Dealers are expensive, and for a reason. They have to send mechanics all over the country for training on these machines, then purchase boxes of special tools from the manufacturer to do the job.

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #3  
Have you checked the hydraulic pressure with a gauge?? If so, was it in spec?

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #4  
I agree with the last two posts.

Spend $20 and get a guage and some fitting and test the pressure.

If you have Quick disconnects, It makes it easier. Instead of buying a QD when I checked mine, I just borrowed the one for the loader itself and put it back on when I was done.

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #5  
G'day very rarely are the control valves the culprit for loosing hyd pressure as stated check your pump capacity out i agree with others that a gauge into a line will give you system and relief pressure when that line is stalled out but i have seen systems capable of making relief pressure (just) but still with poor performance, you really need access to a flow meter with a load valve so the pump can be checked out correctly

Jon

Last edited:
   / L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #6  
Does your relief valve activate when you fully extend the cylinders? If it does, the the pump is probably good. If not, that means that the pressure is below the set pressure for the relief. Either the pump is worn out, or the valve is bypassing . If FEL cylinders are leaking, then the fluid may not build up enough pressure to lift your load limits.

One of my hyd pumps was by-passing , and I could only lift about half my limit. I tore it apart, and it was obvious that it was worn.

Install a hyd gage to verify and monitor the hyd system.

/ L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE #7  
I would agree with checking the Hyd pressure. If the spring is broke or something simple like that it would cause a drastic change in pressure and possibly pressure falling or decreasing. That would be a simple cheap fix.