TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work #1  

padolin

Tractor
new holland TC-29D
so, there i was.... grading my neighbors driveway with a box blade. i was in 4 wheel drive and i heard a pop. all of a sudden, no 4 wheel drive. i checked and the rod that goes from the shifter lever to the transfer case had broken. so i go down and pay $57 for a new rod and install it. well, its installed and still no 4 wheel drive. seems it wont engage....

Any suggestions????:confused::confused:

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work #2  
Padolin, welcome to TBN. When you engage your FWD lever, does the shifter move on the transfer case or does the shifter refuse to move and engage FWD? If the shifter is moving, but FWD is not engaged, then it seems you may have a problem with the internal sliding gear that engages FWD. If your shifter will not move, something may be binding that will not allow the shifter to move.

I'm guessing that you do not have the SuperSteer option on your tractor, and it is a gear tractor and not HST. Is that correct?

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work
you are correct, it is not super steer and it is geared, not HST. The lever on the side of the "transfer case" if you will does move, but it seems to move too freely, it doesnt seem to engage anything.

thought about taking it apart, but im not so sure about taking the whole drivers station apart to get to the case. im sure thats a huge job and i tend to sometimes make things worse

i guess when i get back home from overseas in november ill have to take it to the dealer:mad:

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work #4  
Any chance the collar on the shaft coming out of the transmission is turning but the shaft isn't?

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work #5  
thought about taking it apart, but im not so sure about taking the whole drivers station apart to get to the case. im sure thats a huge job and i tend to sometimes make things worse

i guess when i get back home from overseas in november ill have to take it to the dealer:mad:

I'm not sure how the FWD shaft and transfer gearbox are installed on a TC-29, but on my tractor all that is below the transmission and engine and does not require dismantling of the operator's station. From your description, my guess is the internal shifter fork or sliding gear is broken. I suspect it was not completely engaged and was forcefully disengage from the torque on the front wheels. If the force was strong enough to break your shift linkage, you gotta believe it was strong enough to bust a gear or shifter inside the transfer gearbox. You are probably very lucky that you can operate the tractor without doing further damage. I would want to investigate this as soon as possible and keep operation to the minimum.

Also, when you take the fwd transfer case off, all your transmission/hydraulic oil will come out, so you might as well drain it before starting anything. Of course, if you are taking this to a dealer for repair, then they'll know what to do. Sorry about your problem, but I think as tractor problems go, this may not be too bad on the pocket book.

/ TC-29 4 wheel drive wont work
well, i appreciate all your suggestions. Yeah, ill just trailer it down to the ol dealer and let them fix it. that way it will be done correctly and i wont make it worse. thanks for all the input!