Comparison Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #1  

lepman

Hi all. I'm looking at buying my first tractor and have it narrowed down to a few. All roughly 35HP.

Any suggestions on Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635??

My use is mostly as a wooded landowner who will be doing some light woods clearing, mowing trails, moving rocks and wood, road grating, plowing snow, etc.. I've test driven all three and have made a few observations.

3038e - Least options, simplest tractor. Most power, yet smallest frame and weight. Should this be a concern? Might be easier in the woods and trails, but will the lesser weight make it less powerful? I don't think I'll ever need mid pto, but what's the consensus?

CT235 - More options, middle size and weight. Smoothest hydro I thought, but had difficulty between the three speeds often when testing operation. Bobcat is new to this market, I'm concerned about reliability.

1635 - Nicest driving for me, also most expensive. It was also the heaviest and had much larger tires than the other two. Are the larger tires god or bad?

I would think that the larger, heavier tractor would always be the most durable. But, since I've not had the experience, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Randy

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #2  
I recently went through the same type of ordeal you're going through. Sounds like we have very similiar needs. I ended up with the MF1643. From my experience, with a CUT, you're going to run out of traction long before you run out of power. Having said that, in my opinion, the much heavier Massey has the advantage. It was my opinion that the Massey was a much better value for the money than any other brand. I've had mine for about four months and have nothing but praise for it. Good luck with your decision.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #3  
My vote for the 1635. WHat trans was in the one you tested??

df.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #4  
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #5  
I vote for the MF also but what can I say I'm a dealer. If I can help any way with any questions just let me know and ill b glad to help.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #6  
Have you looked at the Kubota L2800/L3400? 35 HP, very nice tractor. The only negative is the sometimes jerky 3-point hitch.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635
I tested the Three-Range Hydrostatic (HST) model on the Massey. I have not looked at the Kubotas much yet, they seem nice too, I'll have to check out the models referenced. I just did not have access to a dealer to try one out.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #8  
I went with the Massey 1635 with a cab and the three speed hydro. A cab tractor is not the best to work in the woods however. I am very pleased so far but I only have 130 hours on it. Also looked at the 3320 Deere, 3240 Kubota. I wanted a roomy cab and Massey had it. Overall it is bigger than both the others. Witch ever you get, load the tires with Rim Guard, it makes a huge difference. Good luck

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #9  
I guess I will throw in what I know here.

I own a 3038e, with several attachments (i think i may be addicted). I do everything you want to do with it. I cleared about 1/4 mile of drive last winter several times. I used it to clear dead fall from my woods. I brush hog right of ways to keep the trails open for 4 wheelers. I used it for several things that it was not intended for as well and it has been a great purchase. I chose a JD 3038e because of price and proximity to dealer and 0% financing. I also looked at a Kubota which was very nice but about 5k more and less hp, and they wanted 3% on financing.

It is very light as you have noticed and it does break the back wheels loose fairly often however in 4 wheel I haven't had any traction problems. Adding weight to it is pretty easy, I typically go grab a bucket full of sand on the FEL or hook up a barrel full of concrete to the 3-point as ballast.

In the end I would recommend you go with a relatively close dealer (mine is 20 minutes away) and an affordable price with the attachments you want rolled into the loan if you can get away with it.

You will probably find regardless of which one you buy, it will do everything you want, but in the end you will want a bigger more powerful one that bristles with attachments and PTO's at every orifice.