Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #1  

bwditchen

Tractor
Ford 2120
My 2120 had been run out of fuel so I filled the tank, And now after bleeding the lines the tractor will only run for 5-10 seconds before stalling back out. It also spits some black smoke horribly. Any help?

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #2  
My 2120 had been run out of fuel so I filled the tank, And now after bleeding the lines the tractor will only run for 5-10 seconds before stalling back out. It also spits some black smoke horribly. Any help?

Did you bleed the air out of the fuel system? You have to do that. You should probably change the fuel filter too.

JayC

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #3  
You did bleed it correctly, yes? I'm guessing on that engine it's filter, then pump then lines?

You did fill it with diesel and not gasoline by mistake? (I hate to even ask, but it does happen on occasion:eek:)

You may have to tow it in high range for a couple hundred yards to get the air all out. Or just keep cranking. Avoid the use of ether as that can damage the engine.

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run
Well I believe that I did, I bled the air off of the filter then one at a time from the injectors. Again I can get it to run for only 5-10 seconds and then stalls. Almost like it is getting too much fuel and stalling? Lots of black smoke! Could this be a fuel timing issue?

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #5  
G'day fuel timing on a diesel will not change unless you move the inj pump try changing your fuel filter as it may be clogged with rubbish from the bottom of the fuel tank, have seen a fiat do similar thing but it had a blokage in the fuel line. Good luck

Jon

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #6  
i think there is still air in the system and you should continue bleeding it. as others have said its important to clean the fuel filter also.

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #7  
Agreed, if your filters are clean you still have air in the system. The black smoke doesn't necessarily mean it is too rich, just incomplete combustion. A tiny bubble can cause a problem, a lot of injector pumps aren't suction pumps only pressure pumps.

If you can get help and have an air compressor wrap a rag around an air nozzle and use it to pressurize the fuel tank, start bleeding at connections. It only takes a few pounds of pressure to push the fuel so don't try to make a perfect seal, let the air leak out as long as you get fuel flow.

/ Ford 2120 ran out of fuel, now won't run #8  
check fuel flow from the tap.. if it ran out the tap /screen may be plugged.

if you have good flow there, I'd replace the main filter as well..

have yu checked the airfilter?

soundguy