How often do you run your tractor?

/ How often do you run your tractor? #1  

HunterdonPaul

Bronze Member
In the couple of months or so that I have owned, I notice that my usage is somewhat sporadic. I will use the baby for a couple of days in a row and then not for a couple of weeks. I am guessing that this isn't that unusual. This probably isn't good for the battery and maybe alot of the moving parts. What are your feelings on this?

Thanks,
Paul

/ How often do you run your tractor? #2  
The short answer is not often enough. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif A couple of weeks won't hurt much. I try to run mine at least once a month if I havn't used it in awhile. I let it run at operating temp to boil out any condensation that might be in the engine. This keeps the battery up too.

/ How often do you run your tractor? #3  
I use my L2500DT maybe twice a month -- that's as often as I can get up to the property. During the rainy months it's even less than that.
crazy.gif

I was impressed when it sat idle for over a month one time, and when I finally got to it, it was one of those below freezing (28 degrees F is cold in these parts) mornings. Darned if it didn't start right up on the first crank.

Wish my truck was like that.
wink.gif

/ How often do you run your tractor? #4  
Couple plus weeks shouldn't hurt anything,for dealers have new and used equipment setting on there lots months on ends w/no start ups.

Every now and than I start the bota ride down the 250' driveway to get the mail,just to blow out the cob webs,also keep the battery charge plus check for leaks and strange noise.

/ How often do you run your tractor? #5  
I try to use it once a week. I have a bad back and I can come up with odd things for it to help me with. Last night I was splitting firewood and didn't want to carry the wood to the wood pile that is 50 feet away. I took the FEL and went to work. My wife makes a few jokes when I do this but I havn't missed a day of work because of my back since I got the tractor. But I have missed some because I wanted to get some large projects completed before the weekend with the tractor.

Steve

/ How often do you run your tractor? #6  
Paul,

My farm is 180+ miles from my full-time residence, and I am only able to get to the farm about once a month. The owner's manual for my tractor (a NH TN-55) lists actions that should be taken if the tractor is to be idle for more than one month.
As I recall, an issue discussed in the manual is keeping the injectors clean.

I have a neighbor start and warm up the tractor if it takes me more than a month to get back to the farm.

/ How often do you run your tractor? #7  
I only get to use mine every couple of weeks.. then it works for a few days, then sits again. If I don't use them every couple weeks, sometimes I will go out and start them and back them out of the barn while I am cleaning the horse stalls.. just to rotate the gears, and keep the batteries up, etc.

Soundguy

/ How often do you run your tractor? #8  
Case is ran on a daily basis.Ford is run when field work is required.which might mean setting idle for any where from a month or two.Ford useally starts flawless.I have a shut off sw on the neg battery term.this aveliates any down trickle.also shut off fuel at the tank......Sid

/ How often do you run your tractor? #9  
<font color=blue>I havn't missed a day of work because of my back since I got the tractor. </font color=blue>

So true!

/ How often do you run your tractor? #10  
I'm like you, "a couple of days in a row and then not for a couple of weeks" except in the spring, when I use it to mow at least once a week. In the winter it will sit for a month at a time, but winters are short here, so it's only a couple times that it sits that long.