canopies

/ canopies #1  

harleydewd

Tractor
2007 Kubota M5040
I have read alot of the posts in here about canopies, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the abs that Teltrax makes. I have two dealers that both sell Teltrax and one pushes abs and the other only handles fiberglas. The money is about the same for each so that isn't a factor. I have been told the abs is more forgiving if it comes in contact with limbs, but I don't want one that is flimsy either. I appreciate any input you guys may be able to give. Thanks

/ canopies #2  
The ABS material is quite forgiving. The color should be inpregnated into the plastic (so you don't have to touch up as much when you scratch it). The material should have had a UV stabilizer added during the manufacturing. UV stabilizers reduce the "aging" effect sunlight has on plastics.

If I recall correctly, ABS is used in some exterior panels on Saturns and other cars. This is to minimize the parking lot "dinging" we all know and love so much.

It should work fine...is there a frame around the periphery of the canopy? This would add rigidity to the canopy.

/ canopies
Roy, Thanks for responding. I believe the frame is the same on both the fiberglas and the abs, and I don't believe it comes all the way out to the edges of the canopy. My dealer of choice is Watkins Equipment in Paris, Tn. which is 120 miles from my residence, so I haven't had the chance to run down to look at one.

/ canopies #4  
I go to Watkins Equipment as well. Wow! That is one heck of a long drive for you from Memphis isn't it? Aren't there any Kubota dealers closer than that? I just recently purchased a ROPS kit for my L245 and looked at the canopy kit they had there. Looked nice but seemed kinda pricey. I may end up going through my John Deere Dealer to get a canopy instead.

/ canopies
Yeah Chief, It is a little bit of a drive. But I have really been impressed with the service I have gotten from Jerry Watkins and his prices. When I bought the 4900 he had the best price and everything I have bought since then he has always had the lowest price. Besides like yourself I just bought a new diesel truck (F-250 Lariat crew cab) and I am still finding excuses for road trips. Hee hee!

/ canopies #6  
Fer what this is worth--years ago I had a (I'll try to whisper this ) Honda Goldwing that the bags, fairing, and tourbox were made of ABS. Well....one day I decided that I didn't like the color of it... so that following winter I took it apart and changed the color; but guess what??? When I went to put all the pieces in their proper place, they didn'y quite fit the way they did when they came off!!! Evidently the plastic reacted with the paint and caused a little bit of warping and shrinking. So, if this may be a factor, enter it in...if not;file it!!! Good luck on your decision!! Don

/ canopies #7  
<font color=blue>"I had a (I'll try to whisper this ) Honda Goldwing"</font color=blue>

Why would you want to whisper the fact you owned the best touring bike around? /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif I have a Goldwing and shout it's praises to the heavens. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Back on point, I don't know that I've ever heard of ABS plastic changing size or shape as a result of paint being applied. You didn't go for that "baked on" finish did you? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ canopies #8  
No, it wasn't a baked on finish--If you remember the kind of teal green 91 Chevrolet Beretta; this was the primary color of the repaint, and the secondary was a Mopar color to create a little contrast, but I can't think of any models at this time that had it for a primary color. When we picked them out, the guy that did the painting thought 'no way' but after he got it done said 'wow' I NEVER would have put those two colors together; but as anyone can now see, it works.

I had an edge-- my wife can put colors together that just work!!
But, as to the warpage of the plastic parts, don't know what else could have caused it?? Once I got them back on, they seemed to fit OK, but had an awful time with some of the parts. Maybe someone else has some input on this matter??
P.S. The Wing was a good machine. I won't knock it, but in reality' cost more for incidental repair than my 92 E-Glide did.
But, that is just a comparison of those two machines. I also put more miles on the Harley.

/ canopies
Hydra, and Gary, Thanks for the responses, I am not one of the Harley guys that turn there nose up at other marks, just as I don't criticize other tractors. I just hold a love for all motorcycles and tractors alike. They have both been good avenues to meet some pretty nice people. When I bought my first tractor I never imagined that it would introduce me to so many people with like interests or become a hobby. I get alot of satisfaction getting out and doing a project with the tractor and this site has been a wealth of information giving me solutions to problems and ideas for projects. Plus it gives us something to do when it is too wet to play on the tractor or the bike. Hydra, how about posting a pic of that Wing with the new paint job? Have a great weekend.

/ canopies #10  
Sorry!! Sold the Wing ten years ago and all I've got are reg pics and no scanner so can't post any pics at this time--it was an 85 Aspencade 1200-- ended up teal green w/ the contrasting grey-green trim -- looked real sharp --still does, as I see it from time to time on the road!! Don