Advice Please!

/ Advice Please! #1  

BamaTom

I would like to buy a small tractor of some type. I have owned and operated a 14 HP Power King tractor for the last 25+ years, used almost exclusively as a lawn mower with a 48" belt-driven mid-mount mower. The old Power King has just about reached the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced with something else. I just can not work up any enthusiasm for the riding lawnmowers I have looked at. Too lightweight, too flimsy, too much plastic, look to be sort of like a "use up and throw away" item rather than something that can be maintained and used for many years. I would like to buy a real tractor, not a toy. I would like something somewhat larger than the little Power King, but not a whole lot larger. Again, it would be used primarily as a lawn mower, but I now live in the country on sixteen acres of land, about 10 or 12 of which will need to be kept mowed (bush-hogged) to keep it from becoming overgrown with pine trees. I have always lived in farm country but have never known very much about tractors, as far as brands, features, etc. Therefore, what I am asking for is advice on what I need to look for for the uses I've described. What brands, what models should I consider? New or Used? Any and all advice appreciated.

/ Advice Please! #2  
Man, are you in for a treat! There's so much great stuff on the market (new and used both) that you're going find that half the fun is in the search.

I have an old Power-trac PT1418 which is a really good fit for my needs (see the URL in my signature). Power-trac makes quite a few models, some at very good prices (starting around $7K). See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com>http://www.power-trac.com</A>, as well as the PowerTrac forum here on TBN. They're pretty unusual machines. I've gotten many comments to the tune of "I've never seen anything like that!" (which I guess I kinda like being different).

Also, there's plenty of more traditional CUT's that have some great features too, so, like I said, you've got quite a fun search ahead of you. They go from the lower priced Chinese Jinma's (around $6200 for just the tractor) to very high-priced stuff like the John Deere's, Kubota's, and New Holland's.

If you have any need at all, get something you can hook a front-end loader up to as well as a mower. You'll be quite surprised at how useful a loader actually is!

Good luck!
Dave

/ Advice Please! #3  
Hi,

I had always had the dream of buying a Power King for years, before I ended up buying a Kubota this summer.

If you are interested in a Kubota, I guess I would recommend you start looking at the B7500, and move up in size if you feel the need. I actually started looking at the smaller BX22 and ended up with the larger B2910.

There are also John Deere and New Holland and others...all offer good tractors. Other tractors are available also, at prices that are lower than the "Big Three" and a lot of people are happy with them.

Many say that being comfortable with your dealer is as important as the brand you buy. Look, talk, look, talk...get comfortable with the dealer, the price and the likelood that you will not have major issues if something on the tractor should break within the warranty period.

Good luck!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Advice Please! #4  
Don't overlook imported Japanese tractors for a fraction of the cost of new.

Jerry

/ Advice Please! #5  
Do you have any intended use other than mowing grass such as a FEL or a box blade? If not, you might want to look at front mount mowers. There are lots of good used units around at reasonable prices. For example, you can get a good used Kubota F2100 of F2400 for about $5000. Even if it has 5000 hours on it, it will last for the rest of your life. JD and Ford made similar units. Steiner is the RollsRoyce of the group.

Attachments

• 47-205048-F2400-in-summer-dress-web.jpg
    47-205048-F2400-in-summer-dress-web.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 114
   / Advice Please! #6  
There's no shortage of advice on this sight, so here's somemore.
I believe Kubota, Deere & NH are all good tractors and all in the same price range. I shopped for months and decided on the Kubota b7500. I too mow 3 acres of grass, hog 3 more. 400' gravel drive to keep clear in winter and a 1 acre pond to keep up on. Haul a 4'x8' trailer loaded with as much as 1800lbs of pond muck.
My tractor has handled all of these chores without any problems. I can recommend Kubota, but the biggest selling point was the dealership. The Deere and NH dealers in my area were high pressure. The Kubota dealer was a country guy without the fancy overhead. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

/ Advice Please! #7  
I echo Dave's sentiment about the Power-Trac. It is an awsome machine. I've had mine since December and just plain love it.

I also looked seriously at the JD4100 series, the Kubota BX series and the smaller NH series. Even looked at the Cubs. All of them had great features, strong and weak points(in my opinion). The coments you will read about dealers is important, too. If dealer support is necessary for your sanity, get one that you can live with /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I went the no dealer route with Power-Trac. Now I just rely on myself doing the work with excellent phone support from the factory. I really like it. Also, the folks here at TBN are probably worth more than all the dealers combined(heck, some are dealers). Great bunch of people with bazillions of hours of experience collectively. Welcome aboard /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Advice Please! #8  
at this point in time i won't make any suggestions about size or makes, but a few things u might want to think about as u look. 1) a 20hp lawn tractor is no where near the same a s a 20hp cut(compact utility tractor) theya are 2 different things.
2) you say u want to keep 12 acres mowed, how often do u want to mow it and and what is the condition of the land. the smaller the tractor, the smaller the mower(brushhog) the more time to cut it.3) any other things u might want to do with it? consider a front end loader.4) go out and look at a few and ffamilarize your self with the tractors avaliable in the price range u are thinking of. 5)remember also that u will probably still need a lawnmower of some sort for your regular lawn. enough for now!! happy hunting/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and welcome to the forum.

/ Advice Please! #9  
You can't give up on an old Power King!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif No realy, if you are looking to buy new, almost any new lawn, or garden tractors are a step down from that old PK. Only thing close would be a Gravley[I think they still make the riders, or an Ingersoll[updated Case tractors]. If you got nothing that rough, try looking at the Massey gs2300, or the kubota bx2200, looks like the closest step up for you. Good luck, and don't let that PK go to the scrapers, There are a lot of us who would love to rebuild an old one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Advice Please! #10  
Tom I have the Kubota BX2200 which I love! I don't know what part of Bama your in, but I would be glad to get with you and show you what the BX2200 can do.