Martin guitars - the next gold?

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
I know that Martin guitars have really appreciated in the last 10-15 years, but it seems they've really took off lately. A friend of mine went to a local estate auction recently and noted that there was among the items for auction a 1938 Martin 00-18. It needed a neck reset, an aftermarket tailpiece removed and a general clean-up to be in what he would consider decent playable condition. He was interested at first, then the bidding got out of hand. It wound up bringing $17,000. He noted that was well over twice what he expected.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #2  
Nope.
Bidding fever is never an indication of value.
I think they're about peaked, though a '38 Martin is certainly worth more than a few bucks (-:

Me ?
I'd rather have something around that I'm not scared to PLAY - a 30 or so year old Tak right now.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #3  
I am surprised by that price and in that condition. WOW! I have a Pre WW II J-45 Gibson Flat Top that was left to me by may Dad. It is sounding better with age. He bought it for $150 in 1964. The first owner said he played a lot of Road Houses in the forties and fifties with that Guitar. I have been asked to price it but I won't because of sentimental reasons. Ken Sweet

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #4  
I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a customer had a vintage Martin in good condition but was not quite so valuable as first thought. Guess not just any Martin is pricey.

I used to make deliveries to the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #5  
om21braz

Oh wow, I saw that guitar on an auction site and actually thought about bidding for it ..... a lot lower though......geez to rich for blood......

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #6  
I have a 1956 00-17 in pretty sad shape. I haven't played it for 20 years. I should sell it, I guess.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #7  
I saw an episode of Pawn Stars ...

that show (and most other so called "reality" programs) is entirely scripted...although they do use items of value, the show is ludicrous when it comes to reality...

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #8  
Vintage guitars are usually a good investment, especially the older USA-made Martins, Gibsons, and Fenders. I've played for years and have bought,traded and sold numerous guitars.

With the introduction of e-bay, everything changed. Used to be you could go into a music store,pawn shop, or through classified ads and pick up an older Fender or Gibson for a reasonable price, but now shop owners and private sellers have access to a world-wide market and that has really driven up the prices of vintage,collector-quality instruments.

I would suggest to anyone who has a vintage Martin, Gibson, or Fender to hold on to it unless you just really need the cash. Most everything made today is Mexican,Chinese,Korean, or made in India,:( using poor quality materials and assembly line production by cheap labor workers, most of whom could care less about the quality.

Those old Martins/Gibsons/Fenders were made with old-growth timber and top-quality materials and most of the building/construction processes were performed by craftsmen who took great pride in their work.:)

In other words, they don't make 'em like that anymore!:D So they will only appreciate in value.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold?
I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a customer had a vintage Martin in good condition but was not quite so valuable as first thought. Guess not just any Martin is pricey.

I used to make deliveries to the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA.
Seems anything pre-war is quite valuable - whether it sounds good or not. Just because it is pre-war does'nt make it "better sounding". Lots of small makers out there now recreating very good Martin pre-war reproductions at a fraction of the price.

/ Martin guitars - the next gold? #10