Wire won't feed

/ Wire won't feed #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
We have a Lincoln wire welder from Home Depot. It has been working just fine. Now the wire won't feed.

We put on a new tip. The wire is not stuck in the cable. We did some trouble shooting.

When you press the trigger, the box makes a clicking/thunking sound, like a relay kicking in, but it does not engage the wire drive.

The drive unit for the wire has a 12V DC motor. I checked the motor and it will run if I apply 12V directly to the motor (with the unit unplugged and a battery for the 12V), so the motor doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any thoughts are welcome.

/ Wire won't feed #2  
Are your two trigger wires still plugged in, inside, where the spool is located? There is also a possibility of a trigger switch issue.

/ Wire won't feed #3  
Sorry, I just reread your post, your trigger is obviously activating the relay. Thats a new one. I'll look at mine to see if I can offer any advise.

/ Wire won't feed #4  
I had a very similar issue last year with the same symptom you describe,it turned out one of the wires on the back of the wire drive was a little loose and not giving full voltage to the drive motor. Everything looked kosher and I couldn't find the problem until I checked everything with a meter. You might give it a try. Could be a trigger switch as well (who knows but doesn't really sound like it)...one good thing about these welders is that parts are very reasonable. I just replaced the wire spool spindle assembly for a whopping $1.80. In addition, the red trigger pull broke and I had to buy the whole trigger switch just to get the red piece and the entire trigger switch was only $6.50. Can't complain about Lincoln gouging their customers on parts.

/ Wire won't feed #5  
With the side open, pull the trigger, and see if the drive rollers are moving. You may not have the tension right, or the wire is off the rollers.

/ Wire won't feed #6  
My Lincoln SP125 has a circuit breaker under the side cover. Might check that.

Kim

/ Wire won't feed
The drive roller does not turn when the trigger is pulled.

I can turn it by hand, so it is not froze. I can also apply 12vDC directly to the drive motor leads and it will run (with welder turned off)

When I turn the welder on, the cooling fan runs and a clicking can be heard when the trigger is pulled so the breaker is not thrown.

The welder is in very clean condition (not that long ago it was new - but no longer under warranty), so it is not deterioration, rust or debris inside.

It was working just fine last time it was used.

/ Wire won't feed #8  
Bad relay? It clicks but doesn't conduct electricity. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen this, usually with cars, but why not welders.

/ Wire won't feed #9  
A coworker just went through this with his too. He didn't have a meter to check voltages but checking for loose connections didn't help his symptoms like it did mine. Fortunately, he had only had it for a year and Lowes told him to bring it back for an exchange when he called them to ask who to send it to for repair ( I was shocked at that one). The Lincoln manuals aren't much help but do have wiring diagrams..... that may help you some.(?) The thing that speaks to me is that apparently the proper voltage isn't reaching the drive motor if you can jump it and it works. Do you have a meter you can put on it to determine what voltage if any the drive motor is getting? Have you traced those wires back just to make sure there's nothing obvious( no loose connections, etc-the easy stuff)? My experience is if you call Lincoln for help, they will tell you to contact your local Lincoln service provider...so give that a try. According to Lincolns site, these are the guys in the Gainesville "area" who work on Lincoln welders. Call them and tell them what's going on with it and see if they will give you some free advice.

TRI-STATE SALES & LEASING
1848 EAST DUVAL ST.
LAKE CITY, FL 32055
US
Phone: (386) 755-0228
Fax: (386) 755-1177
41.27 miles from the center

INDEPENDENT WELDER REPAIR INC.
490 SOUTH EDGEWOOD AVE.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32205
US
Phone: (904) 381-8827
Fax: (904) 381-8837
58.48 miles from the center

MATTSON REPAIR SERVICE
9654 SUNBEAM CENTER DR.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32257
US
Phone: (904) 260-6040
Fax: (904) 260-9155
58.70 miles from the center

WELD DIRECT CORPORATION
3096 WEST BEAVER ST.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32246
US
Phone: (904) 387-5664
Fax: (904) 387-5224
59.26 miles from the center

STRATE WELDING SUPPLY
29 SOUTH MCDUFF AVE.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32205
US
Phone: (904) 388-2611
Fax: (904) 388-5859
59.82 miles from the center

/ Wire won't feed
Thought I'd give an update.

I was at a welding supply company the other day and mentioned the wire feed problem. The guy there told me to try changing the switch back and forth and make sure it is right on a number. I did this.

It works like it always did :thumbsup:

He said that the switches sometimes get fouled on those machines.

Anyway - problem solved :cool: