2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #1  

C-Range

Advertiser
Tractor
Various
Hey all, in the last two years, my PTO selector shaft has been a point of contention with my 2305. In anything but the rear-most position (rear PTO only), the dang thing grabs my clothing and/or gouges my leg as I dismount the tractor.

I finally had had enough after doing bag after bag of leaves recently. I nixed 2-1/2" of the shaft away leaving a nice short handle that no longer tries to stab at me when leaving the seat.

I just sawed out a straight section and rewelded the vital threaded piece back on, cleaned it up, painted it and was back in business.

Anyone know why JD made this lever so long? Anyway, I hope this helps someone else with a purple spot on their leg or a tear in their favorite work pants.

Attachments

• DSC00697.JPG
    DSC00697.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC00698.JPG
    DSC00698.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC00699.JPG
    DSC00699.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC00701.JPG
    DSC00701.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 445
   / 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #2  
very nice mod.:thumbsup:

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #3  
I have pretty much quit using our 2305, but got to the point where I shifted it to the rear, no pun intended before dismounting.

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #4  
I have been tempted to do that for a long time. It can really grab you if you are wearing shorts.

Mine broke off this spring so I fixed that problem and decided to leave it off for the summer. I had to shift it a few times but I just reached down through the seat pan with my hand and shifted.

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #5  
No clue why it was so darn long !!! but last summer after ripping 2 different pair of shorts ,did same as you ..a lot nicer.

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #6  
GOD BLESS YOU ALL! I have wanted to do this for 3 years! What nitwit Pez Dispenser mentality illiterate moron designed this? I always catch my clothing on this, a lever I never use. Does anyone with the IQ above that of a potted plant who works for JD ever sit in this damned thing? I am now going to do this too!:mad:

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #7  
GOD BLESS YOU ALL! I have wanted to do this for 3 years! What nitwit Pez Dispenser mentality illiterate moron designed this? I always catch my clothing on this, a lever I never use. Does anyone with the IQ above that of a potted plant who works for JD ever sit in this damned thing? I am now going to do this too!:mad:

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #8  
Sorry, being middle-aged and Italian I get dramatic and emotional....but after 3 years of grass cutting and snow blowing this blasted imbecilic thing.... when not neutering me would try to outright castrate me! I'm OK now, another Paxil will be just right!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED!
Wow, I guess I struck a nerve or two. All I can say is DO IT. Don't wait. It's great. I don't even think about getting on and off anymore. I just hop right in and slide right out. I can't believe JD made that lever as long as they did. It's not like there is any mechanical resistance needing leverage.

I'm apprehensive to mention this, but one of your most esteemed cohorts has suggested that I offer an exchange service for those who can't make this change themselves. I would ship you a shortened one and you would mail back your old one, sort of like Netflix I guess. Removal and installation requires only a 13mm socket, a 3" extension, and a ratchet. Not that I need anything else to occupy my time, but is this interesting to anyone? I estimate the change would end up costing folks around $30 when all is said and done. There would have to be a deposit which would be refunded when the old shifter is received. I must be nuts to even be entertaining this!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #10  
I'm apprehensive to mention this, but one of your most esteemed cohorts has suggested that I offer an exchange service for those who can't make this change themselves. I would ship you a shortened one and you would mail back your old one, sort of like Netflix I guess. Removal and installation requires only a 13mm socket, a 3" extension, and a ratchet. Not that I need anything else to occupy my time, but is this interesting to anyone? I estimate the change would end up costing folks around $30 when all is said and done. There would have to be a deposit which would be refunded when the old shifter is received. I must be nuts to even be entertaining this!

I will fess-up...it was me who suggested it:laughing: I still think it's a great idea:thumbsup: