Chainsaws

/ Chainsaws #1  

IRTEXN

Bronze Member
Tractor
'02 JD 4110 HST
I need to buy a chainsaw to cleanup my place . This would include cutting large (2") brush, pruning trees and cutting a couple of scrubby trees that will never amount to anything. I also have a couple dead ones (14") that need to come down. I have looked at Stihl, Echo, Poulan and Sears 16" saws. Obviously the Stihl and Echo are the caddilacs of the bunch, but I'm not sure I'll get the extra $100+ worth of use out of them. Any suggestions or experences???

/ Chainsaws #2  
For a second saw I got a poulan (wild thing) saw.
18" bar and TSC had deal on them a month ago $118.00
w/ case and extra chain.
A friend of mine has used one for couple years and no problems.
I like my Stihl better but hard to beat the $$$$$$.

/ Chainsaws #3  
I can't really offer much advice as to what to buy as that's your decision. All I can say is I really love my Stihl. It has started on the 2nd or 3rd pull since day one. (about 8-9 years ago) I've looked at echo and they seem to be of similar quality. To me there's nothing more frustrating than a tool that won't do its job. I would stick with the higher end brands. A cheapie may do this project but may not live to see the next one.

/ Chainsaws #4  
There's a 95-message post on this subject in Rural Living. Here's a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=186382&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>link</A> to it. The second message posts to another long thread on the same subject a year earlier--read far enough and you'll find Glennmac talking about chainsaw juggling./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif FWIW and IMHO, Stihls can't be beat.

/ Chainsaws #5  
If you are looking for a saw that is reliable well balanced and light weight, it is certainly not sthil. echo leaves it standing flat footed. as for the others i make no comment.....................for your interest... <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.echo-tools.com/prod_2.htm>http://www.echo-tools.com/prod_2.htm</A>

/ Chainsaws
Thanks for the info.....I always buy the upper end tools for my woodworking....don't know why this should be any different.

/ Chainsaws #7  
I think that you will find that the majority of people who make their living with a saw (from arborists with light weight saws to loggers with heavy duty saws) run Stihls. Must be a reason.

/ Chainsaws #8  
I am in the citrus industry in australia and in my district all the brands that have been mentioned are available and well serviced. but all the pro pruners use huskvana or echo and echo being the most prevalent

/ Chainsaws #9  
I did some comparison shopping last year befor I bought mine. I narrowed it down between the stihl and the husky. Both were very similar, but I chose the huskavarna over the stihl. It was considerably lighter, and more comfortable. I cut quite a bit of wood and didn't want a real heavy chainsaw. I haven't been disapointed yet. It starts with one pull, even after sitting for several months.

/ Chainsaws #10  
I cut maybe a cord of firewood a year and do occasional trimming and cutting up downed trees. I bought a Craftsman 18" 4 years ago for $159.00 and have never been disappointed. It starts after the 2nd or 3rd pull even after not being used for several months. You want the best? Go with Stilh, Echo, or Husky. But for what I do, it doesn't justify the extra $200 or so.