square link drive chain

/ square link drive chain #1  

charles5335

Tractor
John Deere 2240
I've bought some new drive chain(#52) for my model B John Deere grain drill and I seem to have forgotten how to separate it to make it the proper length. I've tried driving the links sideways lining up the slot and the more broad way lining up the slot. It seems like there used to be a trick I'm missing, but it's been so many years I can't figure it out. Any ideas out there?:confused2:

/ square link drive chain #2  
Last edited:
   / square link drive chain #3  
:welcome:
There is a tool that makes it easier, but I think you have the right idea from your description. Just need to get it on something solid and with a good square corner to slide (drive) the links off.

Here is one on eBay
Steel Detachable Link Chain Repair Tool on eBay!

Google "detachable steel chain tool" for some hits.

X2. The links are really a spring steel so it does take a fair bit to get them to slide through the slot.

/ square link drive chain #4  
grind the pin's off on one side of a side link, Then take a drift punch and drive the pin out of side links. then use master links to put back together as needed, Master links are side links with the pin's that you can take apart without grinding. large roller chain 120 up is made up of all master type links and roller links

Last edited:
   / square link drive chain
Thanks for the helpful suggestions! I'll probably buy the tool on E-Bay (only thing is he wants half the price of the tool for the shipping, in addition to the tool price).
These links don't have pins and side-links like roller chains have. Each link is one square piece with one side a cylindrical housing of sorts with a slot and the other side a flat side with a rounded edge made onto it for wear. Then each side of the link is just a flat leg. Each link is identical and made in one piece.
They're so hard and springy I can't get my vise tight enough to hold for as hard as I have to hit to drive the rounded edge down into the slot. I can remember doing this many years ago to shorten a worn chain, but I don't remember ever tackling a new one that won't slide down into the slot.
And even if I master this part of it, (I'm trying to make two chains of 38 links each from a new 100 link piece), I must wrap each around the drill sprockets first before reconnecting the two links of each new chain, so this must be done on the grain drill and not at my vise!
I'm really staring to look more and more over at my blow torch !!!!:confused2:

/ square link drive chain #6  
Really shouldn't be that hard to get the links to slide apart.
What size vise to you have and what size hammer are you using. Both need some meat on their bones. And the vise needs a good mount.

But the tool is the thing needed if doing the work "in the field" and not on a good solid vise with a BFH.

Have you ever used one of these tools? How does it work? Do you stand the chain up on its edge and drive down into the grooves of the tool? It has four different "fingers" thus giving it three grooves between the fingers.

Thanks,
Chuck

/ square link drive chain #8  
The different grooves are for different chain size. Slip the chain in a groove, and hammer the link apart.
Has been a few years, but do recall using the tool fairly often on the farm. Takes a good lick to get it started. Pays to have the base of the tool against something solid, but not necessary if you have strength in both hands and a good size hammer (and a good aim). :)

So, you use the tool by laying it on its side instead of having it with the narrow flat part facing down? I received the tool yesterday and am going to try it out today. Was just looking it over and couldn't quite figure out how it worked, didn't come with any kind of instructions.
Thanks!

/ square link drive chain #10  
The tool has a flat side, so stand that flat side on a firm surface with the slots facing up.
Slide a link down into the smallest/narrowest slot it will fit in. Then turn the next link 45 deg so the opening is lined up that has to slide apart. Hammer that next link to slide the two apart.

Here is a pic of the link.

Attachments

• Flat_chain_link.JPG
    Flat_chain_link.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 551
Last edited: