Implement help

/ Implement help #1  

PDXRyan

Here is a copy of the post I put in the comparison thread because it looked like I may get some good advice in this section too. Thanks!

Howdy! My name is Ryan and I'm taking a class at OSU about Farm Implements. So I need some advice on what kind of equipment I need. This is your chance to list your dream setup if price was not a main obstacle.

The situation posed by my teacher is that I just inherited 500 acres of usable land. All the old machinery was sold to satisfy debts so now I need to buy it all new.

So I figured I would just grow 500 acres of Wheat. I have 12 working days to prep and plant and then 12 working days to harvest.

I'm a noob at this so I have little idea what I need, so I would be very appreciative to get any feedback/ideas from y'all.

Things I need help on: Tractor size, Primary tillage implement, secondary tillage, seed planting (thinking I'd go with a grain drill), chemical applicator, then some of the harvesting equipment like the combine size and grain trucks (although I may say I'm going to go with custom hire on that aspect).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

/ Implement help #2  
Ah yes,

Rent all your tillage power as it is
seasonal in nature unless you plan on
winter wheat for natural nitrogen.

Rented equipment:

1 150-200 horspower 4 wheel drive rental with GPS and auto steer

Owned equipment.

1 12-foot wide Northwest rototiller to do tillage
in one pass fourteen inches deep which breaks the
hardpan and prepares soil without additional machinery in one pass and have
a fine seed bed with no additional tillage tools.

You will be able to plant the same day or the day after if the rock pickers are used
to clean up the rocks and improve the planting bed after the ground is fitted.

2- Shulte or Degelman wide cut rock pickers for smaller tractors you will own.

1-wide width grain drill planter- foldable with a towed behind air powered seed nurse trailer

1 self propelled "X" width sprayer with auto steer and GPS

"X" number of 48 foot Timpte Grain trailers that can be towed by your "owned" tractors.

1-towed PTO powered grain combine that can be towed and powered by the tractors YOU own.

1 portable "Walinga Grain Vac" system to load and unload a barn used for grain storage.

The rented and owned tractors, grain drill, and sprayer you own should be equiped with cab cams to facilitate easier viewing while working using the planter and sprayer and unloading grain into trailers as well as backing up to hitch the implements and grain trailers using wireless Cab Cam cameras.

The cab cam will work wonders mounted on the grain trailers as well for rear viewing to eliminate blind spots.

Last edited:
   / Implement help #3  
I think you would make more "clear" money than anyone in the class by renting/leasing the 500 acres out on the halves. Ken Sweet

/ Implement help
Thanks guys! I like the rental aspect but the teacher talked about it being OK to be sitting in the red for this exercise. He wanted us all to find new equipment.

I think he's going for this angle because the next step is to work out a maintenance schedule on all the new stuff.

Then we're to do a cost analysis with all this new equipment based on purchase price, financing, and commodity prices.

The final step is then to try and get into the black by possibly shifting tillage systems, used vs. new machines and custom hire.

So yeah, for now tell me what machines you would love to use on a job like this if they were free.

Thanks again and keep em coming!

/ Implement help #5  
Thanks guys! I like the rental aspect but the teacher talked about it being OK to be sitting in the red for this exercise. He wanted us all to find new equipment.

I think he's going for this angle because the next step is to work out a maintenance schedule on all the new stuff.

Then we're to do a cost analysis with all this new equipment based on purchase price, financing, and commodity prices.

The final step is then to try and get into the black by possibly shifting tillage systems, used vs. new machines and custom hire.

So yeah, for now tell me what machines you would love to use on a job like this if they were free.

Thanks again and keep em coming!
So we should expect you back here asking for a a cost analysis and how to get into the black?

How many credits do we get for this course?

Will we have to take it over if we don't pass?

What are you going to do when it's real world? Are you going to be able to solve the problem yourself?

Is the purpose of the course to learn how to go ask others to solve your problem?

I teach about 100 soldiers a year. If they don't learn what is being taught and just get answers from others they and their comrades would be hurting for certain.

/ Implement help
Wow Nuwbery, looks like I struck a nerve or something. I am not one of those people that has everyone do the work I'm supposed to do.
I just need a bit of help getting started, and I figured people that already know might like to share their wisdom (which to me is a way of learning). I also thought it might be fun for some people to talk about their dream situation if money wasn't an issue.
I'm taking an online class so I don't have the opportunity to talk about this kind of advice in class which is one reason I've come here. Plus my teacher is worthless or I would ask him for a bit of advice to help get me going. We've turned in over a dozen assignments and finished mid-terms weeks ago and he has yet to grade or give feedback on anything. So, sorry if my asking of advice makes me seem like a freeloader. I wasn't going to copy and paste any of these ideas. I was going to look at each one, do some additional research and come up with my own plan based off what others have suggested and the research I've already done and continue to do.

/ Implement help #8  
Id plant corn the prices are up and with ethonol demand on the rise with looming new mandates its sure to go up short term. My vote would be on corn/soybeans with winter wheat winter rotation to be cut in the spring just before soil prep for the summer corn crop.

/ Implement help #9  
[/QUOAny advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!TE]

Maybe switch to a crop the Gubrmint will harvest for you! Then apply for day passes to tour Implement dealers to evaluate and choose equipment for the assignment on your correspondence course. Make sure the Gubrmint is paying for the course and apply for loans to establish yourself after you graduate. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back to serious; first you should determine the Location of your imaginary farm. You need local climate and soil conditions to be able to choose your equipment. You'll find it could vary a lot.:D

/ Implement help #10  
You know I was gonna answer this inquiry until I realized you were taking about Oregon State U. What google too tough for you to figure out? Ripping on the instructor just tells me you aren't a freeloader, just lazy.

Proud Buckeye, class of '76

The Ohio State University..... tOSU