MMM or PTO Mower?

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #1  

boustany

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010, BX2200
I gots the itch to buy me an attachment. I "need" a mower because I'll have to keep the ragweed down on about 5 acres. I know MMMs cost about 2 x PTO mowers, but I do have a Kubota 3010 with mid-PTO, so I could if I wanted to.
Now, should I get an MMM, or are they only suitable for rolling meadow type estates? This field is a little rough in parts, and I am pretty sure a bush hog (or rear discharge) would do fine. Could I regret an MMM?
What sort of applications do MMMs do well? When not? Whats installation and removal like?

Any suggestions or comments?

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #2  
Hi,

There are two kind of rear PTO mowers [maybe more?] whch are finish mowers and rotary cutters. The RFM is cheaper in price but not too different from the MMM. The rotary cutters are about half price...

I don't have a rotary yet...next spring might...but if you just want to keep the grass/weeds short, the rotary seems to do a pretty good job, at least to my eye. Not anywhere as good as a finish mower, but if you don't need the finish mower finish, then save the bucks and get the rotary.

At least that is what I would do. I have a RFM for my Kubota B2910 and it does a better job than my little garden tractor...but the tires on my tractor [R4s] are a little rough on the short weeds areas, but not too hard on the real grass.

Hope this helps...Bill in PGH, PA

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #3  
Your choice depends on what finish you'd like on the land. If it's just a field, a rotary cutter (bush hog) would handle it fine. The cutter will leave some clumps but not bad if it's mowed regularly (once every couple months)

If you want a park like or lawn like finish, your choices are the rear mount finish mower and the mid mount. The rear mounts score points for quick attachment and the ability to back under things like low branches. The mid mounts score points for manuverability around trees and other stuff at the expense of ground clearance. For a mostly open area, I'd go with the rear mount. I'd go with the rear mount anyway because my tractor lacks a mid pto. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

If your undecided on the cutter vs mower, Woods makes a hybrid type mower that is heavier than normal and can take on some light rotary cutter type jobs.

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #4  
I have a MMM, RFM, and rotary brush cutter. Here is my take on it. The MMM is for a tractor whose primary use is mowing. They are not as easy to install and remove as the rear units, and they get banged up when not mowing. I would say you should buy a rear unit. To choose between finish and brush mowers, you have to judge what kind of weeds and how often you will cut it. If you can mow all the rough weeds out of it and if you will cut it often, then I think you will like a finish mower. If you only plan to knock the weeds down when they get a foot tall, you need a brush mower. My two compact tractors are fairly small, they go up and down noticeably over bumps, and so the brush mower bounces up and down a lot, where as the finish mower just rolls alongs nicely. So that's something to consider.

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #5  
I had to make the same desicion earlier this year. I also have a 3010. I didn't want to give up the ground clearance, plus didn't like the idea of having to step over the MMM every time getting on and off the tractor. I did like the idea of having the MMM on and a brush hog on the PTO and using either that i needed to for the situation. I gambled on a 6' RFM. After using it all summer I'm very happy with my desicion. I have mostly open rolling fields for the finish mowing with a few fruit trees and pines scattered about. The RFM does fine for this.
If your field is very rough you might want to brush hog it a few times before you try whichever finish mower you decide on. Good Luck.

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #6  
I prefer the MMM if for no other reason than it works best if you have trees or other obstacles to mow around,you can easily keep your eyes on it at all times.
The other members also have valid reasons for choosing the rear mounts.
It really depends on what your mowing consists of.....Mike

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #7  
I had the same dilemma earlier this year when I bought my 4010. I ended up with the mid-mount which I am very happy with. The points made here (the forum) are valid and worth considering. If you have lots of stuff to mow around you might go with the MMM and save your neck. That's my $.02 hope it is worth something to you.

Brent

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #8  
Another advantage to a mmm is you can store it right under the tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif With any 3ph mower you have to have a place to store it when not in use. Depending upon how much floor space you have, or whether you want to store it outside, this could be an issue.

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #9  
Boustany -- I also have an L3010 and opted for the rfm for my field of seven acres this time around. (Had a smaller B-series Kubota with a belly mower before this one.) It was my experience that the mmm made it easier to mow around low obstructions like walls or flower beds, but when it came to mowing around my apple trees the ROPS got in the way of the branches even when I lowered it. I also did not care for the neat little windrows of clippings the side discharge mmm left behind. One exception to that was autumn, when the side discharge made a fantastic leaf blower! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

The rfm doesn't leave windrows, can be backed under those troublesome apple trees, and doesn't reduce my precious ground clearance -- a major factor for me since I log my 150 acres of hillside. Not sure if that's an issue for you.

On the topic of long grass and weeds, I found the mmm could handle them if you slowed way down and raised the unit off the ground, i.e., multiple passes. The limiting factor seemed to be the side discharge plugging up. The rear mount rear discharge never clogs even on wet grass...and those four large wheels spaced far apart give it the ability to ride up and over many obstructions. Finishing mowers, whether mmm or rear, do NOT like rocks and roots. If you have a lot of them to deal with expect some damage to the blades and baffles, and make darned sure your slip clutch is in good shape.

As for the ease of mounting and dismounting, I got to be very good with both. I didn't find the mmm more difficult (with practice) to mount, but I find the rfm much easier to clean in place. On the other hand, the mmm model I had could be stood on its tail at the back of my garage for storage thru the winter. My RFM has to be tarped outside.

Pete

/ MMM or PTO Mower? #10  
I just tipped up my 3pt RD RFM on its tail for winter storage. Although I did pull the pins and removed the rear caster wheels first.