A "Shovel Ready" project!

/ A "Shovel Ready" project! #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I am in the process of building a "shovel" for the bucket of my Kubota L3400.

It will be a chain on 18 inch long and just under 9 inch wide shovel for digging holes, and small trenches, for transplanting flowers etc. It might be useful for grubbing out smaller rocks in the lawn or other things I haven't though of yet.

The material for the main floor of the shovel is some scrap pieces I found on the property when we moved here, I butt welded 2 of them together, the angle iron is also found scrap, the wings are the only thing I bought, they are 2 inchx1/4 x18. The scrap "floor" appears to be 3/8 thick, and some kind of construction steel, as was the angle. The project is not finished yet, still need to weld on the chain, I was out of chain (didn't think I would get this far this weekend). The fit on the lip of the bucket is very tight and stable as is without chains or anything holding it on. The 3/4 pipe goes under the bucket lip and the angle iron piece is over the lip, and the main floor extends under the bucket several inches. I will put on the chains and use a small chain binder to secure the 2 chains. Time will tell how well it works, and how well it holds up, stay tuned for the finish up and testing, maybe next weekend. Oh, please don't comment on the "quality" of my welds, it might hurt my feelings :laughing::laughing::laughing: just kidding.
James K0UA

Attachments

• sidefab.jpg
    sidefab.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 2,312
  • frontfab.jpg
    frontfab.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 1,994
  • After the cut before sharpeining.jpg
    After the cut before sharpeining.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 1,965
  • sharpened end.jpg
    sharpened end.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 2,499
   / A "Shovel Ready" project! #2  
Oh, please don't comment on the "quality" of my welds, it might hurt my feelings :laughing::laughing::laughing: just kidding.
James K0UA
Those are some REALLY, REALLY BAD WELDS. Nah. I'm just kidding there at least better than my welds. Actually they look pretty good. Sometimes my welds are pretty and sometimes they look like **** :)

Heck when I was welding the pivot point for my backhoe, I had to do it twice since the first welds didn't hold. I took the clamp off and set the boom and bucket down and it fell off. :laughing: I was like oh **** NO, NO. But the second time around I got it welded and it stayed in place. I even used the press to see if the welds would hold and they did.

Anyway nice project. Hope it works out great for you.

Chad

/ A "Shovel Ready" project! #3  
Here are some photos of a fork mounted commercially available version.

Attachments

• IMG_0111smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0111smallfile.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,541
  • IMG_0106smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0106smallfile.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0077smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0077smallfile.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • IMG_0104smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0104smallfile.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,394
   / A "Shovel Ready" project!
Thanks for the comments, Yes the quickspade was my inspiration, but I have about $6 in this one, still have to buy the chain, maybe another $8 to go in chain and some paint.. I am getting a little better at welding, need about another 50 lbs of rods burnt to get better..:) I dont think the welds will break, but they could be prettier, some of the guys on here can really weld, unfortunatly I am not one of them:laughing:
James K0UA

/ A "Shovel Ready" project! #5  
You are doing a better job than most of us could!

Maybe so Island, thanks for the kind words, but when I see the work of Shield Arc, and others here, well I get a little green with envy. But I got the impression, that maybe Shield Arc, has burnt a couple more rods than I have:laughing::laughing: I am getting a little better, but it is a slow process.:) I have had fun building this, and hope to finish it up this weekend, and maybe get to try it out.
James K0UA

/ A "Shovel Ready" project! #7  
Looks like something I need to build for myself. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Crusty, I was just over looking at that toothbar and trencher you built last summer,, and thinking the same thing! about them:laughing::laughing:
James K0UA

/ A "Shovel Ready" project! #9  
You guys keep coming up with ideas for things that I need! This is a good project. The fork-mounted spade is another good idea but I don't think I could do that with my bucket-mounted forks due to the amount of flex in the bottom of the bucket where the forks attach. Maybe since I would be pushing forward instead of lifting, it might work...

I'm still stoked on Crusty's home made tooth bar, I'm going to price some metal tonight and see what I can do. If I post pics of the project I will of course give Crusty full credit for the idea!

Keep on making stuff guys, I really enjoy seeing your projects on here.

OK bad news and good news on the Shovel project. Finished it up this eve, except for paint, though I would try it first before painting, that was a good idea, I was digging along fine, when I hit a small root, and bent the underside of the "floor" that was contacting the bottom of the bucket, like an aluminum candy wrapper. Was curling at the time, and it bent fast!. Bad news it is bent, good news is all the welds held perfectly!:thumbsup: The floor material is the scrap 3/8 thick construction steel I found. and welded 2 pieces together, which are down in the middle of the shovel area, and un-affected by this. I am thinking if I can get that large of a chunk hot enough with my #3 welding tip or maybe the cutting tip of bending it back (you can see the stress where the old red paint was and then popped off), and then getting a piece of angle iron to weld on the bottom starting about where the underside chain fastens on then extending at least half way down the shovel floor then the nose of the angle iron chopped into about a 30 degree angle as it meets the dirt. I am open to suggestions. I have my own ideas on how to fix this and carry on, but I would like to hear from others as well. Did I say that all the welds held perfectly?:laughing::laughing:
James K0UA

Attachments

• DSCF0376.JPG
    DSCF0376.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • DSCF0377.JPG
    DSCF0377.JPG
    470.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • DSCF0378.JPG
    DSCF0378.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 1,460
  • DSCF0379.JPG