loader problem found

/ loader problem found #1  

Loren49

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27, 1940s Farmall A
On a recent visit to my brother we noticed a loose bolt on the loader mount. On closer inspection we found it was very close to becoming a major problem (damage wise and possible injury) There were 3 missing bolts and 8 were sheared off. Not much left holding. We were able to make the repair (lots of hours getting old bolts out and actually did a little modification. The tractor is a 30 hp 4wd - no need to mention make - don't need a fight. (not a Kioti) I will say that when I returned home I checked and torqued my mount and all was fine. Just a reminder that may save someone a problem. Check for loose bolts.

Loren

/ loader problem found #2  
While replacing clutch on my tractor also found 3 loose loader bolts and one broken bolt.

The three loose bolts showed major wear marks. The loose bolts were replaced but still need to extract broken bolt.

Very surprised to find these bolts loose and so worn. Photo shows the bolts that were at issue. All the other bolts were tight.

Attachments

• Loader bolts loose.jpg
    Loader bolts loose.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 210
   / loader problem found #3  
This is what causes 95% of the broke bell housings on tractors. Does not matter what brand it is. I have seen just about every color with a broken bell housing and its usually found when its too late that loose or broken loader bolts are the culprit. Going over everything once a year will prevent all this.

Chris

/ loader problem found #4  
Loader attachment bolt re-torques are some of the most forgotten things.
When we service tractors they always get re-torqued.
You can always tell who re-torques bolts.
Almost all tractor loader frames attach the same way.
Make doesn't really come into play here.

They should be part of every owners maintenance program.

That reminds me I need to re-torque mine LOL

BTI

/ loader problem found #5  
Good reason to continue using locktite on all bolts. Actually, either locktite them because you don't want them to come off or neverseize because you do.

/ loader problem found
The person I worked with on my brothers tractor (20 years working on tractors) does not put locktite on the bolts. Feels it makes it too difficult to remove if they fail. He has had good results with clearing paint from all contact surfaces of mounting bracket and applying a coating of locktite to these. In theory to act as an adhesive. He also likes to use grade 8 flat washers as he's feels that soft lock washers can compress and result in the loosening of the bracket.

He claimed that he has had no failures when he remounted in this way. We also installed an extra grade 8 bolt in a newly drilled hole in the forward part of the bracket (original had one soft bolt in a sloppy hole)

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Loren

/ loader problem found #7  
My dealer occasionally reminds me to keep an eye on my loader nuts. For sure, if you're lifting half a ton of rocks and one of those bolts suddenly comes loose, you're going to have a MAJOR mess on your hands.

- Ruark

/ loader problem found #8  
Loader attachment bolt re-torques are some of the most forgotten things.
When we service tractors they always get re-torqued.
They should be part of every owners maintenance program.

BTI

I re-torque loader and wheel bolts at least once a year as part of the major fluid change schedule. Haven't found any loose yet, but was told by my dealer that loose loader bolts is very common and a cause of severe damage to the tractor. Preventive maintanance is where's it's at :thumbsup:

/ loader problem found #9  
My dealer occasionally reminds me to keep an eye on my loader nuts. For sure, if you're lifting half a ton of rocks and one of those bolts suddenly comes loose, you're going to have a MAJOR mess on your hands.

- Ruark
My wife is always looking out the window for the loader nut:laughing:

Or nut on the loader.:laughing:

/ loader problem found #10  
Who knew to check loader mounting bolts?? When I added power steering to my B8200 Kubota, I had to modify (i.e., cut out some metal) the loader frame at the rear. The loader is a Bush Hog universal model. In order to make sure I didn't loose any strength, I installed a bracing tube under the tractor to tie the two rear mounts together and support the area where I had trimmed... used grade 8 bolts, oversized at that, and painted everything when I was done. I figured the extra weight, down low, wouldn't hurt anything, either. So far, no problems. But I will check tightness of everything I can access, just in case. If you look closely at the foto, you can see where I trimmed away steel on the original bracket, for clearance of the steering cylinder, and the new tube/ bolt heads below.

Attachments

• steering low.jpg
    steering low.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 120