Transporting my Tractor

/ Transporting my Tractor #1  

dtmarion

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jan 2, 2002 B7500
I've got a B7500 w/ FEL. I've been looking into what to use to tie it down to a trailer for transport. Do most of you use chains and a ratchet load binder? Do you use 1 binder per corner for a total of 4 binders or do you use just one in the front and one in the back? Another question, is 3/8" chain heavy enough?

Any tips would be Appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

/ Transporting my Tractor #2  
I used 3/8" chain; sometimes used one binder at the front and one at the rear; sometimes only used a single binder (put the tractor on the trailer almost as far forward as I wanted it, attached rear chain, drove tractor forward just enough to make that rear chain tight, then used a single binder on the front chain to tighten it).

/ Transporting my Tractor #3  
There was a lengthy thread on this very topic recently. The gist of it was that chains and straps each have their advantages. I fall into the strap group, but that sure doen't make it the right way.

I like them because they're clean, light and easy to use. I like web axle straps because they won't damage paint. The chain group feels straps either aren't as strong or are more susceptible to damage or both. To be fair on the paint damage topic, you can put chain guards over your chains to diminish or eliminate that.

If you're going to use chains 3/8" will be fine if you use grade 70 or higher. I prefer securing all four corners. I don't know that it's an absolute necessity IF you know how to properly secure a vehicle with just two attachment points. I just find that very few people do.

I'm sure there'll be a large number of answers to this. One thing I can guarantee you is that if you secure four corners with straps or grade 70 chains you shouldn't ever lose your load. Good luck with whatever you decide to use on this. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Transporting my Tractor #4  
I'm getting ready to load the Farmall for a Veterans Day parade tomorrow.

For the Farmall, I use ratchet staps. It has nice rounded axles and places to put the straps. It has been painted up, so I do not want to scratch it unnecessarily.

for the Kubota, I have switched back to chain and binder. I tried straps, but found I could not set them well without them rubbing sharp edges or corners. So, I went back to chains.

I use one chain or strap front and rear.

/ Transporting my Tractor #5  
I bought nice straps for my nice new Power Trac. After I used them a few times, I noticed that if the strap rubbed anywhere at all, it started to fray. I now use chains, as they are a little more forgiving. I also do like Bird said. Hook one end up and tighten a little with the tractor, set chains on the other end and use a ratcheting binder to tighten it up. Works really well.

/ Transporting my Tractor #6  
What is a "ratcheting binder"? Is it like a short ratcheting nylon strap? One end connected to the trailer and the other to the chain?

I use chain, tightened by a lever device (I can't remember what they're called) with grab hooks at each end. The system works well, but the last lever can be a chore to close. I've never lost my grip tightening the last lever, but it is an accident waiting to happen.

A ratchet device would be easier, safer and ensure tight tie down chains every time. I want to know more!

OkieG

/ Transporting my Tractor #7  
A racheting binder is a rachet with screws with opposite threads(similar to your tractors top link) with grab hooks on each end .

/ Transporting my Tractor #8  
Thanks Vince,

Is that something you can find at TSC? For a couple of reasons, none the least of which is preservation of valuable body parts, I think I need to get one.

OkieG

/ Transporting my Tractor #9  
While I'm no expert on binders, I did look around a bit before buying mine and ended up at Harbor Freight Tools. They were a lot less expensive and I could see no difference. All the others I found were made in China, also.

They have ratcheting as well as the lever types.

/ Transporting my Tractor #10  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/143114_lg.jpg> Click this to see one at Northern Tool </A> I bought mine a TSC, but you can find them at any farm, truck store.