Starting A New Septic System

/ Starting A New Septic System #1  

kiphorn

Silver Member
Tractor
TC 24D
When I move into the new house, it will be the first house I've lived in that had a septic system. Must you do anything to a brand new system to get it to start digesting the things that are going into it or will the process start up on its own?

Are the enzime products that you buy in the grocery store worth while or is just flushing money down the toilet? (No pun intended)

Kip

/ Starting A New Septic System #2  
Someone told me to flush some yeast down the toilet in our first new house. We did. System is still OK as far as I know. That was in 1972.

We skipped it at this house when we built it back in 1989. System is AOK anyhow. Once the "crobies" arrive for dinner, it pretty well takes care of itself. Of course, it should be pumped out at intervals...............chim

/ Starting A New Septic System #3  
Kip

i have built three houses over the last 20 years with septics, have done nothing special to any of them, not even had to pump

/ Starting A New Septic System #4  
If the system is designed and built properly it doesnt need any additives. In my previous house I put the washing machine on a dry well and never even had to pump the septic in 17 years

/ Starting A New Septic System
<font color=blue>i have built three houses over the last 20 years</font color=blue>

You must be a gluton for punishment. This one house should be enough to last me for the next 70 years.

I'm beginning to think our house is situated over an ancient Indian bural ground. Every time we turn around there seems to be another problem. Some day we'll sit in the new house and tell stories and laugh but for now its just costing me sleep and hair.

3 houses in 20 years.........Not for me!

Kip

/ Starting A New Septic System #6  
It should not need anything, but 3 - 4 blister packs of yeast are cheap and will will speed the process up. Ted

/ Starting A New Septic System #7  
Have some nice spicy food and use the facilities a few times. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

But seriously folks, the only things a proper septic system needs is found in human waste. The microbes and such will start working almost immediately. You do have to watch what kind of soaps, detergents and paper products you put in the system. Apparently anti-biotic soaps are very hard on the microbes. Also look into a laundry lint filter as the lint doesn't decay in the system and can plug the soil in the leach bed.

And contrary to some other opinions, have it pumped every few years wether it needs it or not. How are you going to know if it needs it? When grey stinky water starts oozing up in your yard. By then, it is too late and you are doomed to high dollar repairs.

As with your tractor, preventative maintenance is the key. Around here it costs about $100.00 per thousand gallons to have it pumped. So, every other year I spend between $100.00 and $150.00 and have great peace of mind.

/ Starting A New Septic System #8  
And contrary to some other opinions, have it pumped every few years wether it needs it or not. How are you going to know if it needs it? When grey stinky water starts oozing up in your yard. By then, it is too late and you are doomed to high dollar repairs.

What repair bills are you talking about, and you should get some warning because shower drains ect, will slow up gradually. My last house i lived in it with my wife and one child for 8 years never emptied it and it never over flowed.

/ Starting A New Septic System #9  
Kip, I just recently attended a 3 day class here to get my Subsurface Wastewater System Operator certification. Took the State test and now I'm certifiable /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.
This question and many others came up in the class and the answer in short is, no products are needed to flush down your toilet in order to jump start it, or ever.

But if it makes you feel better, they won't hurt anything either.

One thing I would suggest it to get to know your system. Where are the lateral lines, the tanks, the cleanouts. Search for "septic" links here in the past few months and there was a link to a good pamphlet on basic caring of your septic, do's and DON'Ts.

Pumping your tank should NOT be a every-so-often job. It is however recommended that you pump when the sludge level reaches between 25%-30% the capacity of your septic tank. This can be checked very easily, quickly and cheaply by a operator. Not a plug. There is a tool out there called the Sludge Judge(~$100) that can tell exactly the level of sludge in your tank and operators are required to have one.

good luck
gary

/ Starting A New Septic System #10  
Once your drains start slowing down there is a good chance that the drian pipe walls have been coated with sludge and that the sludge has flown over the baffles out of your septic tanks and into the leach field. Now you call the drain surgeon to rototooter your pipes, pump your septic tank and figure out if they can salvage your field tile system.

The house I lived in as a kid had 7 people, 5 of which were female( I don't care if you label me sexist, in my experience, they uses more toilet paper). The system worked great for 20 years, until it failed. Then it was stinky mess in the yard time and $$$ repairs.

The system in the house where I live now was installed in the late 50s. The former owners had 6 in their family and we have 4. He had it pumped every 2-3 years and recommended that I do the same. I do and it is still working fine. Many of my neighbors are on their 2nd and 3rd systems. Theirs seem to fail about every 20 years. Mine hasn't.

As far as knowing your system, that is a good idea. I know that every time the guy pumps mine it is about 50% full of sludge. Your level of sludge may vary according to the size of your system and # of people, etc... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0449207595/ref=lib_rd_ss_TFCV/103-5642084-4079836?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=1#reader-link>"The grass is always greener over the septic tank".. Erma Bombeck</A>