My snow shovel is leaking oil

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #1  

rus_geek

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
Six inches of fresh snow. "Several" inches forecast for Monday.

Uh-oh...

Attachments

• DSC_2245.jpg
    DSC_2245.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 457
   / My snow shovel is leaking oil
Oil running over the muffler and front axle.
Source is a small leak near the top of the oil cooler.

My dealer is closed for the weekend. Next closest dealer doesn't have the part in stock.

-rus-

Attachments

• DSC_2247.jpg
    DSC_2247.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_2248.jpg
    DSC_2248.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 293
   / My snow shovel is leaking oil #3  
It looks very similar from your picture but I can't tell for sure if they redesigned the oil cooler or mounting. The Kioti CK25 and 30, twins of the CT225 and 230, had these issues. I replaced one under warranty and then another after warranty on my CK30hst. About 125 and 100 hours respectively. If the cooler is still mounted with two studs and nuts going through the top of the cooler to a horizontal support in front of the radiator, then the trick is to mount it with rubber grommets. I had drilled the holes in the cooler a little larger, placed a rubber grommet in each hole, cut two 5/16" long by 1/4" diameter steel tubing sections to go into the grommets and then passed the steel tubing over the studs with the nuts tightening down on the steel tubing. It relieves much of the vibration and I'm still good with 150 hours on the cooler. Other Kioti owners of these models had to do the same with good results.

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #4  
That sux with more snow coming... Hope you get it fix "McGyver style" 'till you get the right part with that snow coming :thumbsup:.

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #5  
Your fix is to connect the oil cooler lines and by-pass the cooler. In freezing temperatures you'll never need a cooler.

Check my post about the cracked cooler. I experienced this and its an easy fix.

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #6  
Your fix is to connect the oil cooler lines and by-pass the cooler. In freezing temperatures you'll never need a cooler.

Check my post about the cracked cooler. I experienced this and its an easy fix.

That,
or is the cooler brass or copper?
If so, solder and plumber's torch can make a quick fix!
If plastic (top/bottom) or aluminum stiff rubber and clamping can control or stop the leak on a temporary basis.

Pressure is not an issue in that it will be fairly low (assuming the cooler is on return side).

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #7  
You solder it....no warranty replacement. Out of warranty...go for that solution.

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #8  
That,
or is the cooler brass or copper?
If so, solder and plumber's torch can make a quick fix!
If plastic (top/bottom) or aluminum stiff rubber and clamping can control or stop the leak on a temporary basis.

Pressure is not an issue in that it will be fairly low (assuming the cooler is on return side).

The cooler should be all aluminum and I could never exactly tell where mine was leaking. Mine leaked very little and was just wet all the time. Your cooler seems to have a good leak and maybe you can find it.

And as mentioned, if you solder it, warranty probably won't cover a tampered part.

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil
Once the part comes in, the dealer is going to install it at my house. Makes more sense than trailering the tractor both ways. Unfortunately have to wait until Thursday...

/ My snow shovel is leaking oil #10  
if its aluminum you can plug it with epoxy.I used to use it for refrigeration condensers. good temp fix until part comes in