Tractor Quit Smoking

/ Tractor Quit Smoking #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
The Ford 1210 I've had since the early '90's pretty much sat around for nearly a year. Hardly any activity (snow) after the 2001 mowing season. Last Spring when the dealer delivered the B7500, I removed the Ford's fenders for painting, but found too many things other than painting to fill the next 8 months. The Kubota took away 144 hours of what would have been the Ford's work since then. Finally got it done a few weeks ago. It was started several times during that period, but never really run until it was drafted for leaf chopping/blowing (The ROPS is back on the Kubota for the Winter, and won't fit under some of the trees).

During the leaf exercise, and last Thursday's tag team snow removal, it ran just fine but was blowing more smoke out the exhaust than it had previously. I wrote it up to old fuel.

Just tonight, I added diesel fuel treatment/antigel to the tanks of both tractors. There was still about half a tank of fuel in the Ford from who-knows-when. To mix the additive and get it through the lines, I went for romps through the in-law's fields behind the house. After a couple minutes of running, the ol' Ford's exhaust began to run a whole lot cleaner. I should probably drain that old fuel out and give her a fresh drink.....................chim

/ Tractor Quit Smoking #2  
Drain the old fuel out might not be a bad idea,for you may have some debris on the bottom of the take also floating around..also a new filter might save a headache in the dead of winter.

I would like the engine run at good rpm's when warming,also working to loosen anything up in the fuel lines etc..

/ Tractor Quit Smoking
Thomas, thanks for the reminder on the filter. It has been a while...............chim