Windshield Wiper Motors and arms

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

I got so ticked off with freezing my butt off when blowing snow with the open station tractor I have, I decided to make my own cab.
I am slowly starting to gather the material for what I want to make.
The one thing I have tried getting used, but so far without success, is two wiper motors and arms for the front and rear of the cab.

Every time I call about vehicles that are being parted out, it seems the wiper motors are some of the first items sold. I haven't yet tried scrap yards but suspect they will want as much as new or almost, for a used part of questionable age.

I did a web search the other day for new wiper motors and arms and came up with some reasonable prices - now when I try again, what I find is not so good. The name of the site eludes me at present - so before I go nuts looking, I thought I would throw this out to all for input.

From what I remember, some replacement motors could be had (single speed) for around $45 and wiper arms for around $12 - approximate prices.

Do any of you know of decent parts sources that sell new wiper motors and arms. I guess any would do for the tractor cab, but I also considered buying wiper motors that fitted one of the two trucks I own - as a backup if needed.
However these seem to be pretty prices.

I most likely won't be using the tractor in heavy rain, but a windshield wiper at the front would be useful. For the rear window, the wiper would be most useful for clearing the snow that gets blown back onto the cab (driver if without cab) - so a single speed wiper should suffice.

Any comments on what you have found to be a good source for replacement wipe motors and arms - I looked at RockAuto and another site. Any other sites worth looking at that you could recommend? The cheaper the cost, the more it helps me (retired).

Thanks in advance

Jim

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #3  
If you can get by with used, try Ebay. If you can find one for the rear lift gate, they are usually self contained. The motor reverses direction instead of using linkages.

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #4  
Jim, I know you asked about sources for new motors. I have built 3 tractor cabs over the years and have had great success with used automotive wiper motors and arms from auto junk yards (or my scrap stash:thumbsup:). The slickest setup is a fully self-contained unit from the rear window of a hatchback, SUV or mini-van -BUT you have to make sure the sweep angle will work for you. I've also modified the linkage and lever arms to get the sweep I wanted on car windshield units that are not self-contained (one was from a VW Beetle, another was from a Ford Tempo and a third was from a 1966 F-350). BTW, if you want the wiper to park automatically, you will also need the switch that goes with it. Combined with the rotary contacts at the motor, it reverses the polarity at the right time to keep the wiper from coasting past the park point.

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #5  
Do any of you know of decent parts sources that sell new wiper motors and arms. I guess any would do for the tractor cab, but I also considered buying wiper motors that fitted one of the two trucks I own - as a backup if needed.

Thanks in advance

Jim
Hi Jim.

This is the only place I know...JC Whitney

The wiper motors has an on/off switch right on them, and they can be mounted above or below the windshield!

Another member on here built a cab several years ago, and was looking for a wiper motor... I told him about these, and that's the type he used!

Hope that helps!, and looking forward to seeing pictures of your ''cab build''! :D

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #6  
Jim, those JC Whitney motors linked by JD4300 look like the cat's meow - and the price is right (as long as shipping and border fees don't ruin it). On the last cab I built, I didn't have enough room for my homemade setup for the rear wiper so I ended up buying a wiper motor (switch included) from the Curtis cab dealer. As I recall, it cost $180 + taxes. That pained me to no end.:mad:

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input - very much appreciated. I did check out the JC Whitney site link to the motors and yes, they would be perfect for what I have in mind. At around $44.00 plus say $20.00 for the wiper arm for a total of $65.00 plus tax. That is a good deal I think.

I like the switch on the end of the motor - no wiring or switch issues that you get with the normal car or truck 2 speed wipers. Yes, thanks to JohnDeere4300
as these seem perfect for my needs:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Herringchoker - I have relatives down in the states - so duty, fees etc. on these will most likely be avoided (fingers crossed :D:D) with visits.

It will take a bit of time getting stuff organized , but I hope to have this cab done sometime in the middle of the summer. Many other jobs on the go and all need attention - I am busier now than when I worked for a living. Who said you would get bored being retired - more likely running out of money on projects and stuff:D:D

Thanks once again, everyone - your tips and advice have been a great help. At least I can go ahead and buy what I need at a reasonable price.

Will post photo's when I get the thing built.

Cheers

Jim

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #8  
I like the switch on the end of the motor - no wiring or switch issues that you get with the normal car or truck 2 speed wipers. Yes, thanks to JohnDeere4300
as these seem perfect for my needs:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Cheers

Jim
Glad to be able to help, Jim!! :)

That's what I like about those motors!... An on/off switch right there!!

I also like that you can mount those on top or below the windshield!

Good-Luck with your cab build!!

/ Windshield Wiper Motors and arms #9  
Good prices on the motors from JC Whitney.

Here's a great site though, if you want to go the automotive junkyard route, or need a search engine for car/truck parts. It's saved my butt more than once. Searchable by State/Province, even does 'what fits what' on the fly, that is different models that will fit your vehicle:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market